• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 Colt vs. 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which?

• 1858 Remington

Votes: 47 51.1%
  • 1860 Colt

Votes: 45 48.9%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I'm eyeballing a cap and ball revolver as my next muzzle loading pistol. Top of my list are the "Army" revolvers used in the Civil War. The two main choices I'm considering are the reproductions of the Remington 1858 and the Colt 1860 44 cal revolvers. There appear to be some significant differences leading to similar functionality. Which do you think would make the better choice for me as my first cap and ball revolver? And why? And which manufacturer? Thanks ...

Seriously @wiscoaster what your asking is a loaded question, no pun intended. The comparison of the two revolvers has been a common topic. They are both classics, I own both and love both. Each has pros and cons. But since your asking for opinions, my favorite of the two is the 1860 Colt.

But my all time favorite of all BP revolvers is the 1851 Colt Navy.

Seriously @wiscoaster what your asking is a loaded question, no pun intended. The comparison of the two revolvers has been a common topic. They are both classics, I own both and love both. Each has pros and cons. But since your asking for opinions, my favorite of the two is the 1860 Colt.

When I participated in Cowboy Action Shooting I preferred the 1851 when shooting percussion. The point perfectly for me. The 1860’s are next best with the 1858’s being third.

My opinion and no reflection on anyone else's. I love my Colts. They are beautiful and fun to shoot but can be a bit temperamental. I can depend on my Remington new army. Unless I really screw the pooch loading it, it will always go bang. My suggestion is the Remington for a first CB pistol for many reasons. You won't regret it.

I've owned both - sold the Remington. Although it has some mechanical advantages, the Colt feels and handles better - as many have said before. Also, regardless of which model you choose I would recommend Uberti over Pietta. My Remington was a Pietta and found the trigger pull to be incredibly heavy. I have owned several Uberti repros and have always liked the quality right out of the box.

I've owned both - sold the Remington. Although it has some mechanical advantages, the Colt feels and handles better - as many have said before. Also, regardless of which model you choose I would recommend Uberti over Pietta. My Remington was a Pietta and found the trigger pull to be incredibly heavy. I have owned several Uberti repros and have always liked the quality right out of the box.
I've heard some people pan Uberti. Every one I've owned or friends that had them, they shot great right out of the box. High on my bucket list is a 3rd model Dragoon. One of these days.....

We are the same. 1851 Navy first and then the 1860 Army a very close second. 1861 Navy comes in third and new model Army fourth.

The Remington has better sights.
IMG_0302.jpeg

Latest posts

Back