• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sight adjustment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintlock54

32 Cal.
Reaction score
16 Gauge with sights 80 grains of FFg. Finally got the patch and ball issue worked out. 3 inch group at 50 yards no problem. The groups are 4 inches high at 35 yards 7 inches high at 50 yards. It is my understanding that I need to lower the rear sight. I am thinking few inches at 50 would be ok and a good place to stop. Typically, how much has to be removed to lower it say 5 inches. Will just a little be that noticable.

It depends entirely on the sight radius. If the sights are 3 feet apart, say, and you want to move the impact down 5 inches (the foot of the triangle) at 150 ft then x/3' = 5"/150'; so x = 0.1", or 1/10th of an inch. That's the amount that has to be removed. But you'll have to do it using your true radius. If the sight radius is two feet the number changes to 0.067", or 1/16". That's a lot of difference when it comes to a sight change.

Better to remove a little at a time. It doesn't grow back.

Stumpkiller is the man :thumbsup:

However, if the rear sight can be removed you could use some modeling clay to make a rear sight to simply find the rear sight height you need :hatsoff:

Brits.

Don't ignore the other option: that of raising the front site, which effectively drives the muzzle downward.

Latest posts

Back