• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sighting in the Woodsrunner...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchawkeye

58 Cal.
Reaction score
First trip to the range with my WoodsRunner, .530 ball, .018 pillow ticking, lubed with SnoSeal...Target at 25 yards, shot first with 70grs FFF Goex, then went to 75, then 80...80 was the ticket...Made a little windage adjustment on the front sight, need to tap the rear sight to the right as well and filed the front sight down a tad, still need to work on that again...6 o'clock hold...

Plan to make adjustments in my shop and take to range again, probably next week..Will need to move to 50 yards as well, I prefer 1-2 inches high at 50 on my deer flintlocks...

Maybe this will help, I dragged the pictures over, before you needed to click on the pictures for them to be oriented properly..

IMG_8387.jpeg

71632305941__AB84BB4A-44D0-4D0B-9D96-B508E27AF8E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Will all respect, moving the bullet to the right is just what he needs
Larry
His original photo showed his three-shot group 5 inches to the right of center and a bit low.

Based on the original photo, I'm right about moving the rear sight to the left.

Bring back the original photo.

Now that he changed photos, he'll have to move the rear sight to the right.

So the front sight can swing right to meet it.

Last edited:
Kind of glad I found this thread as I finally got out today to shoot my Woodsrunner for the first time. Mine was also shooting left. I have no idea where the original poster NCHawkeye was holding, but if he was holding center, then his shots were about as low as mine went. However, I was not going full power loads at 25 yards, either.
I do plan to bump the rear sight to the right but am going to hold off on shaving the front sight until I go to stiffer loads. For 25 yards, I was just not putting in that much powder.
Maybe I will get another chance tomorrow or Friday.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

His original photo showed his three-shot group 5 inches to the right of center and a bit low.

Based on the original photo, I'm right about moving the rear sight to the left.

Bring back the original photo.

Now that he changed photos, he'll have to move the rear sight to the right.

So the front sight can swing right to meet it.
Wow! Sorry about the correction! I did not see the photo you saw. You are right on then.
No wonder I get confused! 😂
Larry

I to have a Woodsrunner I havent shot yet. Mine is a 50 cal with old eyes running the show. Kinda curious where its going to shoot. Im hoping I only have a small windage adjustment and not one that is shooting so low that it requires filing the front sight down alot. From what I am seeing here on the forum quite a few are shooting low.

Last edited:
It is nice to know if the Woodrunner shoots low. If it does I will order a taller rear sight from TOTW for my Woodrunner. Definitely post you results and what you did.

It is nice to know if the Woodrunner shoots low. If it does I will order a taller rear sight from TOTW for my Woodrunner. Definitely post you results and what you did.
I put on Kiblers new taller rear sight. and a fresh new front on my woodsrunner. At 25 yards it looks good. Now I have to work on 50 yards and on me.

Attachments

• 20240127_160704.jpg
    20240127_160704.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240127_164431.jpg
    20240127_164431.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I think i saw on the Kibler web-site that he’s offering a taller rear sight now?

Good, it needs it.

Mine blows patches with .530" balls. My .535" mould drops pure lead at .537" and they load easily with .018" patches. It also shoots a one-hole group at 50 yards with either 70 grains of 3F or 90 grains of 2F.

Move the rear sight. Then try at longer range. Although I don't expect to shoot thatvfar, I sight for 100 yards. This is where I work on loads. For a hunting gun I increase powder charges 5 grains at a time until I see group size open up. Then go back to 50 to see how high your impact is now.
Round balls don't have much energy so I like to keep velocity as high as possible.

Latest posts

Back