• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range day

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomme boy

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I picked up a new to me ML this weekend at a GS. It is a older T/C New Englander in 50cal. It has the metal butt and no false muzzle. The outside of the metal has a bunch of little spots were it was rust. It does not look too bad. The bore has a little bit of pits about an inch down the bore. The rest is like a mirror.

Well, I started out with the gun stapped down in the the rifle rests and loaded it with 110 gr of 2f and a round ball. Then I loaded it with 90 on the next shot. Both were shot from behind the shed with a string to make sure they were OK. I always do this on new ML's. Just want to make sure.

Anyway, after that I cleaned the barrel and loaded it back up with 80 grs of 3F and a LEE 250 gr REAL. I used a felt wad lubed with T/C wonder lube melted in the microwave between the REAL and the powder. First shot at 50 yds was a little high but centered. I then reloaded the gun back up. I an using a wet patch with T/C #13 cleaner on the jag to seat the bullet. It helps me to keep it from fouling. Not wet, but just damp. I shot my first shot and I could not see where it hit. So I loaded it again and shot. Same thing. I did this three more times and I just had to go see were they were going. When I got down to the target I see this.

muzzleloader.png
[/IMG]

5 shots. Not too bad for a $100 beater.

Pretty darn good for first time shooting it.
I like your attitude towards being safe with a new rifle. You just never know.

Back