• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Christmas Day Range Trip.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastleo

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I took my Thompson Center Cougar with the Green Mountain .50 LRH out for a range trip today. The way this gun is set up is perfect for me for hunting. The sights really help me shoot better groups. I shot a few different loads today with 3F Swiss and Goex 3f. The Swiss has noticeable more recoil with the same charge by volume as Goex but the groups were similar.

All shots were 50yds from a bench. Using the Hornady Great Plains 385gr conical. If I do my part it generally shoots 1.5”-2” groups at that range.

Attachments

• IMG_3838.jpeg
    IMG_3838.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3839.jpeg
    IMG_3839.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3840.jpeg
    IMG_3840.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3841.jpeg
    IMG_3841.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3842.jpeg
    IMG_3842.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3845.jpeg
    IMG_3845.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3843.jpeg
    IMG_3843.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The first picture is 70 gr 3F Swiss at 50yards with the Hornady Great Plains 385 gr.
IMG_3837.jpeg

The second picture is the same bullet and powder but 80gr. 3 shot group.
IMG_3844.jpeg

It’s a good setup for me and my needs. It will be my gun this year for Ohio muzzle loader season. The only negative about it is it has a decent amount of recoil shooting from a bench. I also don’t love the lube that Hornady puts on these conicals. It works but is a little gummy compared to a beeswax based lube.

Latest posts

Back