• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dad's Hawken Round 3

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Shot again today with the 50 cal Hawken, at least until the winds were 20mph sustained. The balls and bullets all hit the paper at 50 yards, biggest surprise was the first Maxi that hit pretty much at point of aim (6 O'clock hold on bullseye), shouldn't even have loaded the second Maxi as I could see it slipped by my QC, the base had rounded edges instead of square, so it is the low and left , I may have slightly been to blame as a nice gust caught me right as the trigger broke. The PRB were still high and all over. Today (paper target) were all .492 balls I cast from a T/C mould, sadly I switched patches 1/2 way through due to an oversight on my part. I tried 3F for 2 shots, then 2F Old Eynsford for the remainder. Last shot was a single sabot with a 270gr 44 bullet, it was center at bottom of the black. I am still having fun, and the only downside was the fact that I didn't get to the 58. Should note the box without target is 2 weekends worth of shooting, put target where last one was.

Attachments

• 20231124_170050.jpg
    20231124_170050.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20231124_170036.jpg
    20231124_170036.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231124_152240.jpg
    20231124_152240.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231124_170026.jpg
    20231124_170026.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Your prb pattern is about what I'm getting with my .54 Woodrunner - I still have work to do to figure it out. Not anywhere near as accurate as my Trad KY .50 perc as of right now.

Shot again today with the 50 cal Hawken, at least until the winds were 20mph sustained. The balls and bullets all hit the paper at 50 yards, biggest surprise was the first Maxi that hit pretty much at point of aim (6 O'clock hold on bullseye), shouldn't even have loaded the second Maxi as I could see it slipped by my QC, the base had rounded edges instead of square, so it is the low and left , I may have slightly been to blame as a nice gust caught me right as the trigger broke. The PRB were still high and all over. Today (paper target) were all .492 balls I cast from a T/C mould, sadly I switched patches 1/2 way through due to an oversight on my part. I tried 3F for 2 shots, then 2F Old Eynsford for the remainder. Last shot was a single sabot with a 270gr 44 bullet, it was center at bottom of the black. I am still having fun, and the only downside was the fact that I didn't get to the 58. Should note the box without target is 2 weekends worth of shooting, put target where last one was.
I used to shoot some Minie's in a Zoave and Buffalo hunter I had for a while but I have always gotten better accuracy from Maxi balls in .50 cal and .58 cal than I did with Minie's in .58 cal.

I know there are folks pushing the envelope with the 50 cal 1:48 twist barrels and what appear to be BPCR bullets to give them more range. While I would love to stay traditional with the PRB, I may only have a budget for a new barrel for this rifle. If that is the case then so be it, I will just take elk off the menu.

I know there are folks pushing the envelope with the 50 cal 1:48 twist barrels and what appear to be BPCR bullets to give them more range. While I would love to stay traditional with the PRB, I may only have a budget for a new barrel for this rifle. If that is the case then so be it, I will just take elk off the menu.
What about a double ball load. Still lighter than a Minie or Maxi.

I've never shot a double ball load before. I am now curious to see how close they group.
I've shot some. They impacted one above the other a couple inches apart at 50 yards. I only did it out of curiosity and had no intention of using it. You have to be cautious seating the second ball and be sure that compressed are hasn't pushed it up off the first ball.

Might not be a legal hunting load. It's not here in Colorado.

Hopefully get to wring it out in the next couple of weeks! I have .015 and .018 patches, but only .490 balls, if one of the combinations shoots well, I will be happy, if I get mediocre results, I will buy some .495 balls and try them. I am optimistic that I will find the right patch/ball/powder charge with what I have. I am going to see if I have another pound of Goex FFFg, otherwise it will have to be FFg Old Eynsford.

Hopefully get to wring it out in the next couple of weeks! I have .015 and .018 patches, but only .490 balls, if one of the combinations shoots well, I will be happy, if I get mediocre results, I will buy some .495 balls and try them. I am optimistic that I will find the right patch/ball/powder charge with what I have. I am going to see if I have another pound of Goex FFFg, otherwise it will have to be FFg Old Eynsford.
You should be able to run that rifle pretty fast, many, many grains of 3f.

Back