• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod question...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to keep the jag on the end because as Deerstalkert pointed out it makes it easier to grab. The downside is I have snapped the ends off of several of through the years when the wet heavy grass in the cattle fields catches ahod of them so you have to be a little more careful how you are walking with your rifle.

I don't because for me the ramrod is just there mostly for looks; I use a range rod to load for shooting. The ramrods in the rifles do have screw tips, so I could put a ramming tip on if necessary, and I've used them this way a couple times just to make sure they work. But mainly, no, just the range rod with a conical muzzle protector.

I use a range rod when able to. My ramrods get a brass ring on the end. You can find a suitable sized brass cartridge case, usually 9 mm, 380, 38 spec or 40 as the rod is sized. They drive on the end with a dab of super glue. Keep it from splitting, though I have never split one. I think it helps.

Yes, I use the ramrod for loading at times.

Don

I like to size my rods so that with the jag on it the length is even with the muzzle. This way it's ready to wipe with for repeat shots when not at the bench. If the jag extends beyond the muzzle it interferes will cutting at the Muzzle and using a loading block. My systems are all oriented to loading from the bag if hunting or any shooting not involving a fixed bench. All the time keeping as simple as possible. Simple is quick and efficient.

Now, if you should see me shooting at the bench it's the opposite with a shooting box next to me loaded with just about everything ml that I own and the items being used scattered in front of me. 🤣

More detail than the topic asks for though. :rolleyes:

I like to keep the jag on the end because as Deerstalkert pointed out it makes it easier to grab. The downside is I have snapped the ends off of several of through the years when the wet heavy grass in the cattle fields catches ahod of them so you have to be a little more careful how you are walking with your rifle.
That brings up one disadvantage to my method. At the end of a hunt I realized that my rod was missing. I found it the next day hanging by the jag from a small limb fork in a quakie. I'd been carrying the rifle over my shoulder and left it behind.

The ram rods on my guns are mostly for looks or hunting. Some of them actually look purty good too. I use range rods when target shooting to save wear and tear on my good rods.

The wiping stick for my rifle has a threaded socket on the butt end. The wiping stick for my FdC is just plain wood. For the fusil, I have a separate range rod.

I use a range rod at the bench. I made a brass bore protecter so It doesn't wear the muzzle.

Back