• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opening the ramrod thimbles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Folks,
Just started another kit and ran into the same time-consuming problem as always - the ramrod thimbles holes are never wide enough to take the ramrod they're supposed to be for. In my case - 3/8" I started using my usual strategy of using a round file, then sandpaper around a stick, and then wondered if anyone else had come up with a more efficient method. If you open the ramrod thimble holes - how do you do it?

Thanks,

-Nick

Hey Folks,
Just started another kit and ran into the same time-consuming problem as always - the ramrod thimbles holes are never wide enough to take the ramrod they're supposed to be for. In my case - 3/8" I started using my usual strategy of using a round file, then sandpaper around a stick, and then wondered if anyone else had come up with a more efficient method. If you open the ramrod thimble holes - how do you do it?

Thanks,

-Nick

The only thing i do to casted thimbles ream and hone the inside with a reamer bit, however i do not do that so that the rod fits, i do that to smoothen the inside of the pipe is free of burrs etc.

I generally always fit The rod to the thimbles.

I use a very small (two-finger) spokeshave, and ever finer sandpaper, and fit the rod to the thimbles. Once I did come across a RR hole that had apparently been drilled with a 5/16" bit - re-drilled with my 3/8" bit.

I taper my rods anyway. If using a 3/8ths rod I'll sand and taper it to 5/16ths on the other end. Keeps the rod from sticking in the thimbles when it's humid. Yes, it's a boring job. I just suck it up because the end result is worth it.

Ok thanks all for your input. I think I'll try a reamer to at least smooth out the insides of the thimbles and maybe nothing more need be done. I like the idea of opening up the thimbles to 3/8" so I can more easily replace the ramrod when it breaks. All I need do then is cut a replacement rod to length, install a couple of tips, and I'm done.

Ok thanks all for your input. I think I'll try a reamer to at least smooth out the insides of the thimbles and maybe nothing more need be done. I like the idea of opening up the thimbles to 3/8" so I can more easily replace the ramrod when it breaks. All I need do then is cut a replacement rod to length, install a couple of tips, and I'm done.

Fyi I use a hand reamer…. It’s not on a lathe or drill chuck.

Latest posts

Back