• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex lifespan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a few unopened containers from the late 90’s. Expect it can still corrode barrels. Believe they started making Pydrodex in the mid 70s. Any idea on the vintage of the two cans you found?

I have an ancient can (round card board). VERY old but not sure of date. It has a clump or 2 and shoot to POA just like the new stuff. I dont use it much anymore though, better choices available

I have a can that I bought in October of 2003(I always write the date purchased on the cans). its been opened, and used, and the last time it was used was about 5 years ago when my son borrowed my T/C renegade percussion rifle for use during the early muzzle loader season. It went bang reliably, and I bet if I used it tomorrow it'd still function. If kept in a cool dry place where the temperatures don't vary too much, will last a very long time. .

Had to look at dates on the stuff I have. 1989 is the oldest. The newest is 1997. Checked the 1989 container (the only one that was open) and it appeared in good shape, no clumps or anything. Haven’t used in a long time. I replaced the desiccant pack that was in it. Can’t hurt, and I have never had a moisture issue with powder when sealed tight with a desiccant in the container.
upload_2019-4-19_18-39-7.jpeg

upload_2019-4-19_18-39-37.jpeg

Back