• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Guesstimate my muzzle velocity?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTguy

32 Cal
Reaction score
I tried to chronograph my muzzleloader today and the Magnetospeed gave me an error message. I am wondering if anyone can give me a reasonable guess MV on this load. Hoping to get that new garmin radar chrono that everyone is raving about before too long but until then the best guess will be good enough.

95 grains by volume Pyrodex RS
460 grain no excuses
28” pedersoli 1:24
#11 mag

I am pleased with accuracy and it seems to be thumping me pretty hard, if anything I may back it down a little.

I tried to chronograph my muzzleloader today and the Magnetospeed gave me an error message. I am wondering if anyone can give me a reasonable guess MV on this load. Hoping to get that new garmin radar chrono that everyone is raving about before too long but until then the best guess will be good enough.

460 grain no excuses
#11 mag

I am pleased with accuracy and it seems to be thumping me pretty hard, if anything I may back it down a little.
You may want to share your caliber with us if you want a more accurate number. Personally have found 95 grains of 2F will push a 450 to 470 grain conical around 1300 FPS. I wouldn’t worry about things if you found an accurate load. Doesn’t matter what the velocity may or may not be if you can’t accurately place shots. Unless you are getting style points for velocity.

Ah .50 cal
Staying with my original 1300 FPS +/- guesstimate. Do not know what you are planning to do with this load, but if accurately placed, it will dispatch any paper target, deer or elk sized game.
Personally have found 95 grains of 2F will push a 450 to 470 grain conical around 1300 FPS.

Because Simon Kenton "woulda used a chronograph if he'd a had one" 🙄

How did we ever get through a few hundred years of history,,, killing game (with roundballs no less), killing enemies, killing criminals, and shooting at marks for fun, without chronographs and ballistic calculators and such? Honestly how are we even here?!

The average person didn’t have that stuff but some did have ways of measuring and calculating all these numbers. People still wanted to know things and a few did the math. It’s part of the fun of firearms for me and an enough others to have manufacturers sell the easy to use tools.

460 grain no excuses
#11 mag

May have the chronograph to close try moving it back some

I dont know about magneto speed is that different that a regular chronograph
Yup. It attaches to the barrel or stock. I tried to do a screenshot from the pdf of the manual but it is too big to upload. Don't wanna post a pic of it on a modern rifle and get my willie whacked by the trad-popo.

Yup. It attaches to the barrel or stock. I tried to do a screenshot from the pdf of the manual but it is too big to upload. Don't wanna post a pic of it on a modern rifle and get my willie whacked by the trad-popo.
I did a search never seen or heard of it before just use my old style

I did a search never seen or heard of it before just use my old style
Yup. I use an old style caldwell myself. I like to do velocity and accuracy testing at the same time. Stuff hanging on the barrel change the harmonics.

Last edited:
S. I wouldn’t worry about things if you found an accurate load. Doesn’t matter what the velocity may or may not be
Spot on response. In this game numbers are of little consequence. Many questions asked here often show the individual is way over thinking things. Do wat works for yerself.

Because Simon Kenton "woulda used a chronograph if he'd a had one" 🙄

How did we ever get through a few hundred years of history,,, killing game (with roundballs no less), killing enemies, killing criminals, and shooting at marks for fun, without chronographs and ballistic calculators and such? Honestly how are we even here?!
I was just curious how fast that chunk of lead is moving. I’m sure those guys who died at a ripe old age of 39 of diseases that are now preventable would be interested to know how fast their bullets were going. Ballistic coefficients? Might be over their heads.

My take, although I have so interest in super accurate chrono stuff, going to the range a lot like i do and putting holes in paper, can get boring so you need to challenge yourself, so all this super accurate stuff its an extension of that, and i wont fault anyone for extending their fun.
I am on a a mission to get thru zero cap jams on my little .31. I got my ‘51 Navy .36 almost flawless. So now the .31 is the challenge.
Everyone wants to improve something.

Having only recently taken this dive into muzzleloading I can see a ton of value in improving all of my other shooting. Target acquisition, shooting from standing, trigger control. If nothing else this is a great training tool. It’s also really fun.

Our MLs eject a whole lot of ash. Up to 45% 9f the original charge weight. It's probably confusing your magneto. When I shoot over my chrony I back off quite a bit to get a clean read.

Back