• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Part Of Clean It Now Don't You Understand?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all in "how" ya clean a m/l er. Im so lazy , I have a hookup to a laundry sink hot water faucet. 1 insert 1/4" tubing into bore completely to breech plug , hold finger over flint touch hole , turn on hot water faucet until the barrel exterior gets hot to the touch , turn off fawcet , commence with drying patches , w/shot of WD40 to prevent sticking. All in all , meby 7 to 10 mins.. Tooth brush the lock under hot water fawcet , dry , lube , and reinstall. Stand rifle in corner muzzle down , wipe once next day to catch any moisture frim around breech plug , and store gun away. When I go shooting with the neighbor , His gun gets cleaned right after mine. Beyond lazy man's , easy peasy. No Pyrodex.
That’s pretty clever and I bet it’s thorough too! I like stuff like this, thinking outside of the box.

I do what I call Field Cleaning at the range before I leave. I run a few damp patches down until they come out light gray, followed by dry patches. I also wipe the fouling off the barrel down by the lock.

I like to do a full disassembly and cleaning when I get home. The longest I've gone on purpose was two days due to a busier-than-normal schedule. I once accidentally left a gun in a case in a hot room for a week. I had to remove the fuzzy surface rust from the outside of the barrel. Due to Field Cleaning, the bore wasn't hurt. It's always best to do it ASAP!

I've seen Muzzleloaders at yard sales that were shot and never cleaned. What a waste.

Walt

IMO there should be legislation against neglect and cruelty to all Muzzle loading firearms, irrelevant of what Breed they are !
I'd like to find those people, strip them down, spray water on them, roll them in ash, and let them stay that way for a week until the lye starts eating their skin. Sounds like cruel and unusual punishment but so is the treatment they gave their muzzleloader! 😁

Walt

That’s pretty clever and I bet it’s thorough too! I like stuff like this, thinking outside of the box.
This is my solution to cleaning. A repurposed pump up sprayer. Warm water with a little dish soap, spray till water is clean. Wipe dry and oil the barrel. No cleaning fluid on the stock or lock.
sprayer 006.jpg

Blha blha blha, if you cant spend a day shooting, swab a couple patches before leaving, and use more then this at the kitchen table, in a leisurely 20 or 30 min, then your doing it wrong.
No 'hot water', 'steam cleaner', or 'dish washer', required; just some good cleaner and a little elbow grease.

"One day I am going to die, but not I think not today"

Attachments

• 20231209_163509.jpg
    20231209_163509.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Blha blha blha, if you cant spend a day shooting, swan a couple patches before leaving, and use more then this at the kitchen table, in a leisurely 20 or 30 min, then your doing it wrong.
No 'hot water', 'steam cleaner', or 'dish washer', required; just some good cleaner and a little elbow grease.

"One day I am going to die, but not I think not today"
Aww, just let’em ferment till next deer season. That way we keep Coleraine, Rice, Green Mountain, Mr. Hoyt, Ed Rayl and others happliy in business!

Okay, so I spend considerable time, and resources, prepping a muzzleloader for sale. I send my prospective buyer a copy of Sam Fadala's book on The Complete Backpowder Handbook then take the fellow out shooting, instruct him on loading, and after shooting, field cleaning with solvent. I explain the detailed cleaning technique using soapy water. I'm thinking, "good job" until I get a communication asking about fouling, using Pyrodex. I go over the importance of cleaning and he responds "yeah I'll do that tomorrow." How many "tomorrows" has there been since I sold him a pristine bore gun? 🫣

How long do you wait to clean your muzzleloader after shooting?
Always same day as soon as I get home from the range. At a Ronnyvoo I do it at came each night before I eat dinner.

I usually clean them the same day but…a couple of times life got in the way and 1-2 days went by before being able to clean them. Even though I live in Florida where it’s very humid, I’m glad to report there was no trace of rust. I’m sure a couple of more days would have increased the chances of brewing rust.

Always same day as soon as I get home from the range. At a Ronnyvoo I do it at came each night before I eat dinner.
I always do it before leaving the range! Just carry a plastic container with a screw on lid, (empty Metamusil or Ovaltine containers work great) fill 1/3 with windshield wiper fluid or your cleaner of choice, and swab away. When done, dry and oil the barrel, screw the top back on the container, and take it with you so you don't leave a mess at the range. Note the bottle on the ground to left of picture, fo barrell that can't be easily removed, drill a hole in bottle top, pass rubber tubing through it, connecting the other end to the nipple, fill 1/3 with cleaning solution and swab away. Very portable and works great.
20240322_190003.jpg

Last edited:
I usually clean them the same day but…a couple of times life got in the way and 1-2 days went by before being able to clean them. Even though I live in Florida where it’s very humid, I’m glad to report there was no trace of rust. I’m sure a couple of more days would have increased the chances of brewing rust.
OMG, ernbar. In July I merely posed the question of postponing cleaning until the next morning and the idea created a thought tornado. You just admitted to the world that you actually DID it and MORE THAN ONCE. Buddy, you better find the witness protection program.

I only use triple 7 but my gun being dirty nags at my ocd so I take it to my shop the next day and scrub it out.

OMG, ernbar. In July I merely posed the question of postponing cleaning until the next morning and the idea created a thought tornado. You just admitted to the world that you actually DID it and MORE THAN ONCE. Buddy, you better find the witness protection program.
Yep I did it and my guns are still spotless. 😆

Latest posts

Back