• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Guesstimate my muzzle velocity?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
t/c had load tables in the users manual that listed x amount of powder with x ball or bullet equaled x amount of feet per second . I always figured if my load was approx the same and the grain weight of the projectile was close then the feet per second would be within the same range
What I've found in shooting over my chrony is that the tables published in various places don't necessarily reflect reality BUT, I don't think it matters much for everyday shooting or hunting. Adequate loads are pretty well known amongst we MLers. This chronographing is the unnecessary indulgence of some of us who just gotta know!! 😀
shoot through a large piece of paper betwee the muzzle and the chrony screen it will only see the projectile
That's a great suggestion 👍

I have used a Chrony chronograph since the late 70s / early 80s, the type with the cardboard windows, you shoot through. They went out of business, before that I bought the F-1 update but prefer the cardboard when using black powder as it catches stray patches & powder residue. I haven't used it in decades though. It usually agreed with listed factory ammo velocity's.

I was just curious how fast that chunk of lead is moving. I’m sure those guys who died at a ripe old age of 39 of diseases that are now preventable would be interested to know how fast their bullets were going. Ballistic coefficients? Might be over their heads.
Absoluteley 👍,
50 cal RB at 95 grns, I recon even a bit faster than 1300. Maybe 1450 fps.
But how long does it hold that speed, not long. Unlike a 58 or 62 RB that comes out at 900, they keep on keeping on. 👍

I am using an Oehler Ballistic Explorer program. I have a 54 caliber with 230 gr RB. Using the Gs drag function and B.C. of 0.145. Here are the velocities. The Gs drag function is for round ball projectile,

0 25 50 75 100 125 150 175 200 225 250 Yards
1355 1228 1121 1032 955 889 831 779 732 690 651 ft/sec

I hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back