• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Prices…….

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had to go to town today for a doctor appointment. While I was there I thought I’d stop by Walmart again to see if they had any caps. None on the rack so I asked one of the workers. They had no idea what percussion caps are. So they went and found a manager. He had no idea what caps are so I pointed to the rack. I told him Walmarts across the country has been getting them in, even in KY, but for some reason this store cannot seem to get any. He scanned the bar code and told to wait right there while he went and checked in the back. Sure enough, he came back with an unopened box. He told me they have been there for a while and he had no idea why they were never put on the rack. $5.64 per tin. I thanked him and as I was walking away.

As I was walking down the aisle I noticed some powder. Hoping to find some for real 3F amongst the and subs, I found this for unmentionables.

I know BH is supposed to be good powder but If this is reflective of the price for real 3F, if they can even get any, they can keep it.
IMG_1471.jpeg

Last edited:
First off blackhorn powder isn't for your typical sidelocks or most inlines.
Black Horn 209 is for Magnum rifles only!

Two, you're not going to see your Goex at a Walmart. Storage requirements is a real big concern plus fire Marshal has to okay it.
Infact the Fire Marshal even has to okay subs and smokeless. And a for BP a FEL from the ATF is required.

First off blackhorn powder isn't for your typical sidelocks or most inlines.
Black Horn 209 is for Magnum rifles only!

Two, you're not going to see your Goex at a Walmart. Storage requirements is a real big concern plus fire Marshal has to okay it.
Infact the Fire Marshal even has to okay subs and smokeless. And a for BP a FEL from the ATF is required.

Good Lord. You sound like my Ex-wife.

First off, Black Horn makes BB for sidelocks. Many BB shooters use BH.

We are talking about prices not fire marshal laws. Most of us has known what you contend for many years.

Now please tell us something we didn't already know.

Last edited:
That stuff, when used in the appropriate rifle, will do speeds that black cannot. I don't use it and I don't have anything capable of using it, but I know what it is and what it will do. If I needed it I would buy it.

BH209 was $ 39 for 10 oz , then $59 for 10 oz just a few years ago, then Hodgen bought them out and realized they had a monopoly for magnum inline powder and changed it to $59 for 8oz hoping no one would notice the 2 oz decrease, then this year it jumped to $83 for 8oz.

My "inline" buddy swears by it, saying it shoots like smokeless powder as far as fouling and is accurate to 200+ yards. I asked him how many deer he has shot at 200 yards and got a blank look.

BH209 was $ 39 for 10 oz , then $59 for 10 oz just a few years ago, then Hodgen bought them out and realized they had a monopoly for magnum inline powder and changed it to $59 for 8oz hoping no one would notice the 2 oz decrease, then this year it jumped to $83 for 8oz.

My "inline" buddy swears by it, saying it shoots like smokeless powder as far as fouling and is accurate to 200+ yards. I asked him how many deer he has shot at 200 yards and got a blank look.
That price jump will make you walk funny if you had to have it. Have the pellets gone through the roof too?

Real BP is less than $30 a pound. I fail to see what makes that stuff worth so much.
From the guys I know that shoot it in the latest wiz bang inline rifles with 20x scopes, they boast it's lack of fouling in the bore is similar to smokeless powder shot after shot. It can be cleaned with regular bore cleans like Hopees 9 and can go weeks without being clean under most conditions. The accuracy with fancy sabot bullets to 200 yards is up there with centerfire rifles.

Giving the typical 150 gr. "magnum" load used, that 8oz can will get you 23 shots.. That's $3.61 a shot plus the cost of the bullet. To compare using a 70 gr. load of FFFG black powder a $25 can will give you 100 shots at $ 0.25 a shot plus the zero cost of a cast round ball from scrap/reclaimed lead.

That price jump will make you walk funny if you had to have it. Have the pellets gone through the roof too?
Indeed. That price way over the top. Which makes me wonder (and is the reason for my posting) will BH for sidelocks (If they even make 3F) going to reflect the same insane pricing?

Snakebit, no, the price of pellets was a little over $30.00, didn't pay much attention to it after I did the comparison.

Last edited:
Real BP is less than $30 a pound. I fail to see what makes that stuff worth so much.
Going off of what KyRon has posted, it might be worth it for unmentionables IF one does not shoot very often, as well as has the "need" to do so. IMO, everyone to their own thing. I sold the one Inherited because they take away the tradition of ML for this ole boy. The day may come to where I can no longer see how to shoot without a scope, so things might change in that aspect.

All I can say for sure is, that price is ridiculous. It will be interesting to see what the price of BH for sidelocks (3F if they make it) will be this year.

Last edited:
There is a very large segment of ML shooters that are only ML shooters because it extends their deer season. They don’t want to swab between shots and they don’t want to have to clean their gun right after they shoot, they buy a can of this and it lasts them for 3 or 5 years so they don’t really care what it costs. If it came in a pelletized form they’d like that even better, but it doesn’t. Put it in a plastic cartridge with a primer already in it and they’ll buy that too.
That’s who’s buying it.

Last edited:
Going off of what KyRon has posted, it might be worth it for unmentionables IF one does not shoot very often, as well as has the "need" to do so. IMO, everyone to their own thing. I sold the one Inherited because they take away the tradition of ML for this ole boy. The day may come to where I can no longer see how to shoot without a scope, so things might change in that aspect.

All I can say for sure is, that price is ridiculous. It will be interesting to see what the price of BH for sidelocks will be this year.
What is BH for sidelocks?

Last edited:
Back