• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Prison Birds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a quick hunt yesterday. I had an opportunity to hunt a piece of private land that happens to be adjacent to a minimum security prison. The birds roost there but can be tough to call over sometimes. Yesterday, I tried a different tactic. I gave them a few good calls, got some gobbles back and then waited a few minutes. Then I threw up some gang signs and a pair of young punks came running over as fast as they could. I think the entire hunt lasted about 30 min tops.

While butchering, I checked the crop to see what he’s been eating. I was surprised to see it was a combination of pretzels, breadcrumbs and some grass. Yep — definitely a prison bird. He has some fat on him — all over. so I think this is the first grain-finished turkey I’ve taken.

Gun is a Pedersoli 12 with removable chokes. The load was about 80g 2F equivalent (120g homemade), 1.5oz #6 bismuth & a homemade cap. Dropped him quick at about 15 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_9129.jpeg
    IMG_9129.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9131.jpeg
    IMG_9131.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Lucky you weren't shanked! Bad thing is, you are probably in the hat for killing little Turk-Turk. You may need to go into Witness Security 🤣

Good job on the bird! Cant wait for our opener on May 4th.

Back