• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Precusion Caps Making A Comeback.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My small privately owned gunshop in my area received a large order of Goex ff/fff recently and has a good supply of Rem #10's. If a small shop can get them, maybe they're getting back in the supply chain. That's where distributors should be supplying to, not the big box outfits IMO.

I make my own caps with German roll caps by using a wet mixture with 1/10 ratio of aluminum powder to about 6-8 dots and a drop of acetone. When dry I have fire coming out the muzzle. I use sheet brass and often can reuse them as long as you change the orientation of the dimple in the cap or tap it out before filling you can reuse them. Depending upon how hard your hammer mangles them. Key is allow them to dry thoroughly or you will get weak or no ignition.
06750DF8-07C6-4AFF-9776-2CE02F85AFCB.jpeg

It looks like #10 and #11 Precusion Caps are starting to trickle in here and there, Cabelas and Bass Pro have them and a few little mom and pop shops around me have them. How about in any one else’s neck of the woods.
100 come in a tin. We wouldn't want anybody to run out, now would we. Some must be getting ready for Bunker Hill!

Wow wolfman0125 they are some nice looking caps you made and I like the nostalgic tins very nice, the caps would be nice to try and to learn how to punch them out and make also.

If ever it becomes necessary to go to take this next step, I intend to make up a punch and forming die set to go into the RockChucker and get a proper measuring and looking copper/brass cup from sheet material, then make up suitable fixtures to process 100 to a batch. This if the powers that be continue to infringe on my free thinking about what should or should not be available to me. I take to bullying about as well as any other similar American. The stronger the push the more PO'ed I get.
@TheOutlawKid uses a drop of Duco cement in the cup after the mixture is measured in. He says they’re pocket proof after that treatment.

That’s good to know, Duck stays flexible And won’t get hard like some cements.

Hopefully once the primer shortage is addressed--again--the Win, CCI, and Rem folks can get the percussion cap production online. I find it curious that there are no new players in the game. If you shrug your shoulders and give your clientele excuses and dumb looks instead of caps for most of a year, I would be shocked if somebody who did have time to make some did not take your market away from you. Being bad at business was never any kind of an excuse in free enterprise America.

Would YOU start a new business when the communists were closing down any business they wanted ?! I think not. Just saying.......

I do not have the background for percussion caps or primer manufacture, but if I did I live in probably the least regulated of the states to start up. I would think a business where your product literally flies off the shelves, and you cannot keep up with orders at a fair price would be hard to lose money on.

I do not have the background for percussion caps or primer manufacture, but if I did I live in probably the least regulated of the states to start up. I would think a business where your product literally flies off the shelves, and you cannot keep up with orders at a fair price would be hard to lose money on.
I'm sorry but I would definitely have to differ with you. The expense to start up a new business, plus the expense in acquiring all the special license for explosives, and the city/county/state ordinances regulating the manufacture of explosives, and the expense of equipment, as I said before when they were and still are closing businesses at their discretion.....no sir, you would not do it unless you had investors or millions of your own money to invest.

Sportsman's Warehouse in Meridian has CCI magnum #11 percussion caps. That makes two stores in our vicinity that finally have #11 caps. Black powder supplies are slowly becoming more available. Having said that, no "real" black powder yet although my son did bring me two pounds of Schuetzen FFFG black powder. Really fouled the rifle but it provided quite a "fireworks" show, smoke, noise, knocked all the spider webs down from the rafters in the covered shooting "stand".

ML48 has some good points. The priming compound is an explosive that is very powerful and easily detonated. It requires an explosives license and I'm sure there are some stringent storage requirements. You'll probably find that you'll come to know the BATF and Osha agents on a first name basis.

Well I do not have a background in primer and percussion cap manufacturing, nor do I have millions in start up money. But it would certainly be fun to ask Nancy Pelosi to come down and kick off the groundbreaking ceremonies, now wouldn't it

Well I do not have a background in primer and percussion cap manufacturing, nor do I have millions in start up money. But it would certainly be fun to ask Nancy Pelosi to come down and kick off the groundbreaking ceremonies, now wouldn't it
Naaawwww......Her and bumblin' Biden are busy stocking their $30,000 refrigerators with ice cream and booze for her🤪🤣

Naaawwww......Her and bumblin' Biden are busy stocking their $30,000 refrigerators with ice cream and booze for her🤪🤣
At least she doesn’t go drunken driving around running into folks like her hubby Paul does. I wonder if he’ll face justice…

Back