• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where can we find percussion caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Powder, Inc. Has RWS and RWS+ for sale. Just checked this AM. A bit cheaper than Buffalo Arms. Walmart in the SE do not carry them. Pro Bass Shops don’t even recognize a search for percussion caps.

I have checked 6-7 wal-marts here in N AZ and noone even knws what they are and they carry ZERO BP items. I think I will start punching caps on the 22lr cap maker and then start the priming process when I have 2-300 ready to go. Any preferred aliumin cans? One drink canned in any better quality aluminum than others?.

I member told me that # 11 will work good for # 10 and visversa, anyone else have any comments on this? I have two pistols that like # 11 and one that really only likes 10's and I'm down to a tin and a half of 10's.

I have recently bought a kit containing 25 reusable caps which can be refilled using a mixture of ground up match heads and a stabilising chemical. As dry match head residue is quite corrosive, it would probably be of benefit to remove the nipple immediately after use, flood the spark channel with a non - petroleum based oil, and immerse the nipple in the same oil. I intend to use this as an interim measure in the event of supplies temporarily drying up, as they seem to do frequently. I have yet to use this as I came upon a supply of standard caps just after buying it. Added to which home and family stuff has occupied a lot of my time in recent weeks. But I intend to use this kit and put up a review before long. Here is the kit:

Attachments

• Caps1.jpg
    Caps1.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Caps2.jpg
    Caps2.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Caps3.jpg
    Caps3.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Finishing up a really nice build of a Traditions Hawken rifle with my son and went out to find #11 percussion caps today. None at Cabela's, Green Top, or Bass Pro. Can't find anything on line either. Did come across a site called Hunter Precision that claimed to have them, but they are just a scam set up to steal your money and don't actually have or ship product.View attachment 239668 Any suggestions where I can find them?
Try my basement after I'm gone: I'm making sure to stock up over time until I have enough to defend Cemetery Ridge! (Won't ever "clean out" a store rack or;) display, though!)

I have recently bought a kit containing 25 reusable caps which can be refilled using a mixture of ground up match heads and a stabilising chemical. As dry match head residue is quite corrosive, it would probably be of benefit to remove the nipple immediately after use, flood the spark channel with a non - petroleum based oil, and immerse the nipple in the same oil. I intend to use this as an interim measure in the event of supplies temporarily drying up, as they seem to do frequently. I have yet to use this as I came upon a supply of standard caps just after buying it. Added to which home and family stuff has occupied a lot of my time in recent weeks. But I intend to use this kit and put up a review before long. Here is the kit:
As a kid, we'd put match heads into those old hollow-shafted keys, and put a blunted nail on a wire, then stick the nail into the shaft like a ramrod, and using the wire as a handle, WHAM the nail head on the cement and BAM! Dangerous, yes, but it was the Fifties!! o_OThe whole rig was like one unit, nail, key, wire all together. Cheeze, if I did this today I'd have hearing & eye protection!

As a kid, we'd put match heads into those old hollow-shafted keys, and put a blunted nail on a wire, then stick the nail into the shaft like a ramrod, and using the wire as a handle, WHAM the nail head on the cement and BAM! Dangerous, yes, but it was the Fifties!! o_OThe whole rig was like one unit, nail, key, wire all together. Cheeze, if I did this today I'd have hearing & eye protection!
Huh? 😅 As a kid we placed a couple of match heads in a big nut squeezed between two bolts, it will make a bang when tossed.

Finishing up a really nice build of a Traditions Hawken rifle with my son and went out to find #11 percussion caps today. None at Cabela's, Green Top, or Bass Pro. Can't find anything on line either. Did come across a site called Hunter Precision that claimed to have them, but they are just a scam set up to steal your money and don't actually have or ship product.View attachment 239668 Any suggestions where I can find them?
I was able to get some this week at Wally's. CCI's 5.60something a tin. They go quick though.

I applaud and am envious of those of you that are finding #11 caps for sale in your local areas. And not buying them all is honorable. However, bear in mind, merchants keep track of items that sell. They reorder as inventory reaches a certain level. If they don’t sell the product, they don’t reorder. The reordering is what gets materials and products manufactured.

Last year my local Walmart did not have CCI caps in the muzzle loading section. As I walked back up the isle past the air gun pellets, I found a pack of ten tins on that shelf. Later other tins were with the muzzle loading stuff.
It might pay to look around.

Last year my local Walmart did not have CCI caps in the muzzle loading section. As I walked back up the isle past the air gun pellets, I found a pack of ten tins on that shelf. Later other tins were with the muzzle loading stuff.
It might pay to look around.
Yes, at some they are locked up with the ammo laying on there sides not in plain view.

In my corner of southwest St. Louis County, I found 4 tins of CCI caps at the local Wal-Mart Super Store. I bought two containers to donate to my club so we may have enough caps to allow new shooters to traditional muzzleloading to have a shot at a target.

Latest posts

Back