• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Precusion Caps Making A Comeback.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
somewhere in my basement, i have the old "tap - a - cap" system ... can you still get the paper caps for a capgun? Are capguns still in existence?
No, cap guns are banned because liberals say they are scary looking😂

Local chemical supply store might red flag large purchases of reagent grade saltpeter, charcoal or sulfur. Sulfur hardest to get in nature where I live. I have supplied wood for charcoal (willow, alder and tree of heaven)to friend for for black powder manufacturing. Shoots o.k. but not graphited. Knap my own gun flints, scrounge lead to cast round balls, make own patch lube and buy fabric for patches. Could use thin brain tan buckskin in a pinch for non uniform thickness patching and paper wasp nests for smoothbore wadding. . Not have a tap a cap tools to make percussion caps from aluminum cans and toy cap gun caps. so still on look out for RWS caps. CCI available locally. Don't have shot tower to make my own shotgun pellets, but could make swan shot. Have to buy hickory for ramrods from scratch or ready made.

We get to own most Rifles guns pistols.Just not Semi autos and pump actions farmers and Pro shooters can though .And poor old Ned ended up swinging for his deeds Such is life :)
Poor old Ned tried to go straight all along, and still wound up swinging for his deeds. Must have looked like a bad guy.

I in all my wisdom will never, ever understand you folks!!! EVER!!!!
You had 4 years with reasonable prices on guns from ak47's to muzzlleloaders, primer and percussion caps up the ying yang, black powder by the tons, and everything else related to our shooting sports and hunting, whether muzzleloaders or CF, and you wait until a communist is installed in the WH, and wonder what happened!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I've had sufficient supplies for all my "unmentionables" for several (11 or 12 - the obama reign motivated me) years. I just got back into black powder about two months ago, four months after president* comrade pinhead bribem was installed. I have managed to obtain sufficient levels of "stuff" for the BP too. :thumb:

I have too many interests. I could stock ahead for some, but I couldn't stock ahead for everything because I didn't own a warehouse, and I wasn't born a trust child. As it stands I was in good stead except for caps. Now I could use a lot of #10 for the revolvers, that is about it. My obscure early cartridge breechloaders, however, are another matter. Brass that can easily be converted for some of them at a reasonable price is a thing of the past. All this is meaningless anyway. The stocking up, the hoarding is a band aid on a sucking chest wound. The hostile and uncalled for gun policies coming into place in America are the problem. Brought on by those who will neither forgo having children nor commit any time to teaching the ones that they have anything of value. IMO
You can own 100 hoes. But if all they do is hang in the shed, the.weeds will take over the garden.

There is a shortage of too much stuff. New pinfire shotshell cases. Paper shells in 2 1/2" 10,16,20, 28 and 410. Inexpensive brass for the recently obsoleted CF numbers. New brass for the obsolete RF numbers. Every outfit sells the same locks RE Davis, Chambers, L & R.. Every outfit sells the same barrels, Rice, Coleraine, Green Mountain etc. Specialty market is wide open for products and no one seems to be producing. Just my take.

i don't need a cap making tool. i'm well stocked.

During the last big muzzleloader panic i found hundreds of thousands of #11 caps at an Oklahoma business. Remington and CCI caps cost $2.99 per hundred. Put numerous others in contact with the business, and he soon sold out.

I have too many interests. I could stock ahead for some, but I couldn't stock ahead for everything because I didn't own a warehouse, and I wasn't born a trust child. As it stands I was in good stead except for caps. Now I could use a lot of #10 for the revolvers, that is about it. My obscure early cartridge breechloaders, however, are another matter. Brass that can easily be converted for some of them at a reasonable price is a thing of the past. All this is meaningless anyway. The stocking up, the hoarding is a band aid on a sucking chest wound. The hostile and uncalled for gun policies coming into place in America are the problem. Brought on by those who will neither forgo having children nor commit any time to teaching the ones that they have anything of value. IMO
I know what you mean. I also have many interests, but you have to prioritize. Shelter, food, water, protection(ammo, guns)!

If ever it becomes necessary to go to take this next step, I intend to make up a punch and forming die set to go into the RockChucker and get a proper measuring and looking copper/brass cup from sheet material, then make up suitable fixtures to process 100 to a batch. This if the powers that be continue to infringe on my free thinking about what should or should not be available to me. I take to bullying about as well as any other similar American. The stronger the push the more PO'ed I get.
Well everyone should be pretty PO'ed by now

Being able to buy what you need/want online or locally in small quantities precludes the need to stock and hoard. I remember the 90's when Midway shipped free and we all had their number memorized. A new mold, specialty brass, reloading equipment, ML supplies were but a phone call away. The BP club got my powder and caps in every year, and stored them in the powder magazine on site. Only when I retire and have a few minutes to myself do we lose THE election and things get SO screwed up. Add Aphganistan today to thr failures of the New Order.

iu

Being able to buy what you need/want online or locally in small quantities precludes the need to stock and hoard. I remember the 90's when Midway shipped free and we all had their number memorized. A new mold, specialty brass, reloading equipment, ML supplies were but a phone call away. The BP club got my powder and caps in every year, and stored them in the powder magazine on site. Only when I retire and have a few minutes to myself do we lose THE election and things get SO screwed up. Add Aphganistan today to thr failures of the New Order.
https://www.waynedupree.com/2021/08...pics/?utm_source=daily-email&utm_medium=email

somewhere in my basement, i have the old "tap - a - cap" system ... can you still get the paper caps for a capgun? Are capguns still in existence?
Actually, much to my surprise, we found a tiny shop at Lake Tahoe that sells the old toy cap guns and spare rolls of the red tape caps too!!
They have a blue revolver set with holster for the boys and a pink set for girls...we picked up a set as gifts for the two kids who live downstairs (they love playing with 'Popits') and they have had a total blast with them.

Back