• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder source....the good stuff

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you are a crafty guy, go with a Kibler Woodsrunner kit, easiest kit on the market to put together, everything is CNC matched. You should have it together in 2 or 3 hours. Slicking up the metal parts and applying a finish to the stock and metal is easy but takes a day or two to accomplish.

If you go with top quality from the start, you will never regret your decision.

Shoot any questions you have my way, I sorta' have this whole building thing figured out.
And there’s the Kibler post. 😂

And there’s the Kibler post. 😂
It's required reading get with it already.
Kiblersealofapproval.jpg

On a serious note. For those that use Mink Oil, check out your farm supply stores in the equestrian section. I was looking for a new boot brush and couldn't find one a few weeks ago. Ended up in that section following a gal that worked there around and about fell over when I saw they sell brand name 100% pure MO safe for all horses and farm animals in pint tins for 2 bucks cheaper than the tiny 3oz tins I've been buying for my boots.

Welcome I'm in Northwest Michigan. Just for a heads up with flintlocks. Get a gun with the BEST lock you can buy.
That's why so many on here go with the Kibler kits.
Kibler has one of the, if not the best locks out their.
Also his kits are super easy to put together. The kits go together in a few hours. Its the staining the wood and metal prep that takes time. Good luck on your choice.
You are so right about the lock. The lock is the heart of the rifle. Without good and fast ignition, you are fraught with frustration.
Ohio Rusty ><>

You are so right about the lock. The lock is the heart of the rifle. Without good and fast ignition, you are fraught with frustration.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Yes, I heartily agree and I’ll add a traditional flat faced breech plug and a correctly positioned touch hole. The Kibler round faced lock on my Colonial rifle is unquestionably the finest lock I’ve ever owned, and I have owned and worked on many.

Last edited:
Thanks Eric. I have a lot of mink oil. I use it on all my leather goods. Boots, shoes, side bags, possibles pouches, straps and whatever else I can find to smear it on. Great stuff.
Firstly: Welcome from Nevada.

Now, they got you set up with Powder but they are not answering true on Mink Oil.
You don't use the kind you use on your boots! You use 'Mink Oil' as you use in a patch lube.
Now I don't know about the stuff the one above found. Sounds interesting but for a steady supply you want the stuff Track of the Wolf sells, it's for 'shooting' not for polishing your boots.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/131/1/MINK-OIL
Now; once you have your rifle, and once you have the powder, and once you have the Mink Oil - check back and I will share with you THE BEST lube (hint: mix some real, pure Bear Oil with TOW's Mink Oil...but get your bear oil soon as it is seasonal)

Buying from a dealer is a lot cheaper than buying online. Hazmat fees force you to buy in large quantities. Most folks don't have the option...no dealer nearby.
Online is definitely cheaper and like any commodity bought in bulk much cheaper . The nice thing about on line purchases powder stays good forever and it will be quite awhile before you have to resupply and with regs becoming an issue I sleep better knowing my guns are fat and happy . A car deteriorates ,my powder appreciates and the wife suspects the reason but likes all the money I'm savin !/Ed

Firstly: Welcome from Nevada.

Now, they got you set up with Powder but they are not answering true on Mink Oil.
You don't use the kind you use on your boots! You use 'Mink Oil' as you use in a patch lube.
Now I don't know about the stuff the one above found. Sounds interesting but for a steady supply you want the stuff Track of the Wolf sells, it's for 'shooting' not for polishing your boots.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/131/1/MINK-OIL
Now; once you have your rifle, and once you have the powder, and once you have the Mink Oil - check back and I will share with you THE BEST lube (hint: mix some real, pure Bear Oil with TOW's Mink Oil...but get your bear oil soon as it is seasonal)
But bear oil lasts forever @ room temperature /odor free and makes great donuts !/Ed

Back