• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky Flintlock help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the tips, be it known, my Kentucky is as your rifle, she is pinned in place. I have pulled that barrel a bit, ask my wife,, ping ping with the tack hammer lol.. its not a horrid task,, but am going to keep it in unless needing to come out.
A good tip on the lock, I will apply this so as not to disturb that little spring. Geeseh lol simplicity right there 😆..

Best

Ryan
i've been pulling my barrel every time i cleaned it since i built it almost forty years ago the pins are still as tight as the day i built her. never had one start to come out ever and can't just push them out they have to be tapped out . i moved my rod spring and permanently pinned it in place about the second time i had to reinstall it!

I haven't had any problems with the pins, they are a tight fit. I much rather remove the barrel to clean than risk damaging the stock.

Best

Ryan

I am in Redbluff, CA... we pretty much are limited to the big box stores, not many mom pop retailers. I will try to call around, because I find that most online vendors require a minimum order. One site was pushing 25lbs, believe me you, that would be great, but i can't afford that lol.. so I will see what the local offerings are,, may have to drive,, but would be worth it in the end..

Thank you again

Best

Ryan
I've used Travelers Antiques and Trading out of Texas for buying black powder before and they don't have a minimum for buying powder.
Give them a call, they are good folks.

hello .ox-yoke makes a black out system that has a threaded touch hole adaptor and a plastic tube that you attach and put the end in a bowl of hot soapy water and use the ram rod to pump it thru. i wet a cleaning patch for the end of the rod so it pumps good. you will need to pull the lock out to install the adaptor. but it saves the pin holes inthe stock from repeated use. i sell them in my shop customers like them. good luck

hello .ox-yoke makes a black out system that has a threaded touch hole adaptor and a plastic tube that you attach and put the end in a bowl of hot soapy water and use the ram rod to pump it thru. i wet a cleaning patch for the end of the rod so it pumps good. you will need to pull the lock out to install the adaptor. but it saves the pin holes inthe stock from repeated use. i sell them in my shop customers like them. good luck
online shop?

100 yrd group with 340 DRILL CLOTH TALLOW LUBE AND 490 BALL over swiss 3f 65 grns bench rest trad Kentucky the holes right and high 70grns
DSC03290.JPG

red rifle 100yrds.JPG

Humm, triple 7 powder and a Great plains rifle. With BP in the pan.
The trip to getting your Flintlock to shoot it's having a big enough vent a good Flint a good prison and keep the oil and all the manure out of the bottom of the breach.

Don't say what can't be done ,because there's always somebody out there that does it.

Thank you for this, much appreciated... I found that the ball is 1.5 inches from the flash hole. So sounds like what you are describing as the patented breech. How does one clean the flash chamber, as I dont see a way to pass a swab though the barrel.

Best

Ryan
Cleaning the breach area: sounds like you have a vent liner from a previous comment?
If so then, once you have cleared the barrel, remove the liner and use Q-Tip Swabs with what ever your chosen cleaner is. I usually use 4 or 5 swabs to get it shiny clean (use a pen flashlight to check) then another Q-Tip to oil when done.
Use regular jag and patches in the barrel.

As another mentioned you can cut long patches and a Slotted Jag to push down to where a Button Jag don't reach but I always follow up with Q-Tips through the Vent as I can scrub better.

Make sure you grease the Liner threads (I like Birchwood's Chock Lube) and Do NOT over tighten!!! Also use proper care when threading, use your fingers, turn counterclockwise until you feel the thread then clockwise With your Fingers, if you feel resistance Stop and begin again (same way they teach in High School Shop classes and you will never cross thread).

Thank you! That would be greatly appreciated 🙏 🙂

Best

Ryan
Are you in Nevada?
I am in Carson City.
There are Two clubs here, the ones I am with now are Eagle Valley Muzzleloaders (in Carson City), the Reno folk I have not met, I hear they lost their old range and now take a bit of a drive north to shoot.

Depending on your location; we have Club Shoots once a month and I myself try to get out on BLM as often as the wife let's me, I know a couple good spots toward Minden and another i want to check in Washoe now that the snow is gone.

I am in Redbluff, CA... we pretty much are limited to the big box stores, not many mom pop retailers. I will try to call around, because I find that most online vendors require a minimum order. One site was pushing 25lbs, believe me you, that would be great, but i can't afford that lol.. so I will see what the local offerings are,, may have to drive,, but would be worth it in the end..

Thank you again

Best

Ryan
Ah, Red Bluff...too far for me to take you out, sorry.
You will NOT find any BP in any store in California, Nevada, Idaho, or Oregon - not unless it's a tiny ma & pop I have yet to find.
Mail order is your only way (highly dought you will find any in Washington either).

Always store your MLs muzzle down to allow any oil to drain. It's surprising how much comes out even from a barrel that was only lightly oiled. Doing this prevents loading into a puddle of oil at the breech. For cleaning, get yourself a fitting that allows you to attach a hose to the flash hole. Pump a lot of soapy water back and forth, and that will clean the entire flash channel. All of the fouling is water soluble; the soap makes it dissolve better. If you can't find a hose fitting, plug the vent with a toothpick and use a length of tygon tubing attached to a source of pressurized water. Hold the barrel so that water will run out, run the hose down to the bottom of the barrel and turn it on. Let it run for a few minutes. (I have adapted a garden sprayer for this)

Always store your MLs muzzle down to allow any oil to drain. It's surprising how much comes out even from a barrel that was only lightly oiled. Doing this prevents loading into a puddle of oil at the breech. For cleaning, get yourself a fitting that allows you to attach a hose to the flash hole. Pump a lot of soapy water back and forth, and that will clean the entire flash channel. All of the fouling is water soluble; the soap makes it dissolve better. If you can't find a hose fitting, plug the vent with a toothpick and use a length of tygon tubing attached to a source of pressurized water. Hold the barrel so that water will run out, run the hose down to the bottom of the barrel and turn it on. Let it run for a few minutes. (I have adapted a garden sprayer for this)
I will definitely be doing this for future storage. I made a very rookie mistake, and actually thought about cleaning it out several days before I took it to the range. I am not sure where I could find a fitting to screw into the barrel, but I will look, should be to hard once I find the threading dimensions. Thinking I could back the liner out and maybe go over with some airline tubing or simular.

Best

Ryan

Ah, Red Bluff...too far for me to take you out, sorry.
You will NOT find any BP in any store in California, Nevada, Idaho, or Oregon - not unless it's a tiny ma & pop I have yet to find.
Mail order is your only way (highly dought you will find any in Washington either).
Thank you for your consideration, I do appreciate it! Agreed, its a dead end hear, purodex is the standard here, as what most shops are carrying here, and that's when its in stock.

Again much appreciated!

Best

Ryan

Many stores here only stock bullets, brass or assembled cartridges. No powder or primers/caps. Must be an insurance thing.

Latest posts

Back