• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder and mice?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think i posted about this a few years ago. Critters prints were all over the dust on the caps and bottles. But they only chewed the BP and not the smokeless. I keep the BP in a steel ammo can with the lid on loose. The Hinges and latch not connected but it is in place to keep critters n moisture out.

I have had mountaineering some good pants and neoprene waders ruined by mice in my garage. I am not a "cat person," but we've had a few neighborhood cats take up residence around our property, and the mouse problem has gone away. I'm not quite to the point of leaving milk and cat chow on the porch - but I might be getting close......

The mouse clearly did not understand the lyrics of Johnny Horton's song "Battle of New Orleans" as he put the powder in the wrong end.

In my 30's I worked full time as a mechanic and got a part time gig working for the Sheriff at the county jail. I went to work at the shop at 730 am got off at 5 pm, then went to the jail at 530 pm and worked until 11 pm. About 1045 pm, I recieved a phone call from one of my FTO's. He worked the jail full time and as a Water Authority Officer on the Lake part time. He drove to work at the Lake, but his Jeep wouldn't start when it was time to go home. I went to check the issue and his fuel pump wiring was all chewed up. Apparently the chipmunks like to chew on wires too, so much so the wires we eaten into. I made a fairly quick temporary repair, then let him take my vehicle home and I drove his Jeep as I had to go to work at the shop at 730 am the next morning. The next day, during lunch at the shop, I soldered in new sections of wire. Unfortunately, critters like to chew.

I had some surplus powder once that chemically ate through the plastic lid and rusted the inside of the metal container. The powder smelled very acidic, the odor was very noticeable. If your powder had limited exposure and doesn't smell bad then chances are your ok.

I was going through my powder this morning and a mouse had chewed through the bottom of one of the cans in the back. Has anyone else had any problems with mice getting into their powder? I would have never thought that they would chew into it, it must smell good to them or something. I am just glad that I found it as soon as I did. Only lost just a little bit of it into the carpet.
Yours is the very first post in all my years here that has been shared about a rodent chewed powder container.

I bought for $20 a fairly nice kitchen cabinet made of hardwood from habitat for humanity in Jackson Hole. Probably about 30”x36”x12”. I put a keyed cabinet lock on it and some castors from HF. Probably another $15. That way I can roll it around in whatever building I have it in. Put the lock on because I used to have a stepson that liked to steal and get into trouble. Works great.

In all honesty @Coolhand , after closer review,
Why did you post this photo-chop? What is your intent.(?) :dunno:
I spent 26yrs making plastic. Black plastic doesn't have shiny metal edges, and mice don't leave curled edges with chew marks.

You guy's call me out as much as you want. But that photo is as fake as the shiny spot on the lower right side of the bottle and a metal chewed hole..

Callin out,,the truth.
I'm the bad guy, and @Coolhand is cool.

The mouse clearly did not understand the lyrics of Johnny Horton's song "Battle of New Orleans" as he put the powder in the wrong end.
[snip]
I haven't thought about that Johnny Horton song in ages.

My grandpa first played that for me when I was around age 7. I thought it was the greatest song ever. Of course, that age my other favorite song was Snoopy and the Red Baron. About 48 years later and I can still recall the lyrics, "we fired our guns and British kept a coming, we fired once more and they began to running..."

Thanks. I love those memories. He was a great man. He trapped for a living in Idaho in the Bitteroot area for several years as a teen. He was in the Navy and went around the world -- first pic I ever saw of a topless lady was when I found my grandpa's box of snapshots from when he was in Fiji in 1935 -- for some reason my mom took those pics away. He served his country in World War II, raised a family, started a business, and went from picking cotton as an 8 year old to being part owner of a golf course in his 60's. An American success story, like a million others -- what a great country.

Thank you very much.

That has to win the reference of the year award.

Line your ammo cans with cardboard cuts out static etc. I put a piece between each can too. Put your blacknpowder cans in,problem solved. Mine has been stored that way for years, metal cans mostly.

I spent 26yrs making plastic. Black plastic doesn't have shiny metal edges, and mice don't leave curled edges with chew marks.

You guy's call me out as much as you want. But that photo is as fake as the shiny spot on the lower right side of the bottle and a metal chewed hole..

Callin out,,the truth.
Looks like the work of a mouse to me.👀

I think there may be something in the plastic making process that mice seem to like. We know they sure enjoy the insulation on electrical wiring in automobiles.🤷
Good morning. I was told that they used soybeans as the basis for insulation on the wiring in the car and that's why rabbits and mice are attracted to it and also to ext cords. It could be that there's a soybean base used in the construction of those jugs which would also make it attractive.
Squint

Callin out,,the truth.
Kinda confused by your tactics. What is your intent? I have no idea how you can see a metal can in a plastics Olde Eynsford can.

Back