• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

post hawkin here

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
englishman said:
hi everybody please do not take this the wrong way ,but i cannot see what pleasure anyone gets out of shooting an animal as big as a small car from around 50 yards it is certainly not sporting it just seems killing for killings sake maybee some people get a kick out of shooting a sitting target i for one do not .hitting 47 clays out of fiftyand hitting a target six inches in diameter at around 130 yards consistently with my hawken is shooting.sorry if this offends anyone but i cannot condone killing for a cheap thrill.

How about killing for cheap meat and a thrill then instead of for a cheap thrill? :hmm: Nothing wrong with buffalo hunting. Heck, at least you're killing your own grub instead of hiring a hit man. That's what your doing when you buy a beef steak, eh? And there is no hunting at all when they kill your poor innocent little cow for you. :rotf:
Don

Folks who work in a slaughter house don't call it hunting either.
Regardless,I love my Hawken and would like to take a buff with it. I think 150 gr of FFFG behind a PRB ought to work just fine.

"it just seems killing for killings sake"

Did you have a point? All hunting should be killing for food as far as I'm concerned. Killing for fun is just wrong.

I try like hell to eat all the coyotes I kill but it’s a hard thing ”“ is it all right if I just skin em and take the furs, toe nails, and skulls?

:)

coyotes :(

The only good wild or feral canine in the woods is a cold one.

Sheesh is right , this was a Hawken thread I thought....Myself I dont hunt I'm in the "when youv been hunted by man" guys (a saying by a well known U.S.M.C. sniper that lives close to me and helped in everyway with hitting what I aim at, sneeking and peeking, ect. If you want to gripe about meat go see your next steak or ribbs get offed. Enough . Please. If you hunt and your not useing a In :cursing:great. (see Longhunter new MB if you really want to get ****** off) Fred. And yes I'm teaching my son to hunt the Old way with OLD guns. :thumbsup:

Sorry Fred, didn't mean for this thread to take a right turn about hunting Buffalo. Maybe Englishman we can continue the question of ethical hunting on the hunting thread? I'm sure you'd get a lively response there. :v

Yes. Please take hunting related issues to the Hunting Forum.

Actually, I wouldn't recommend taking it there either because it will start a verbal war, but the issue is better suited to a Forum which deals with the topic.

Zonie

catskin said:
I try like hell to eat all the coyotes I kill but it’s a hard thing ”“ is it all right if I just skin em and take the furs, toe nails, and skulls?

:)

:rotf: :rotf: That's a good 'un Catskin!! :rotf:

Oops!! Me too Fred. Sorry!! I can't let that kinda new age manure go unchallenged though my friend. Now... back to HAWKENS!!! Yee Haw!!
Don

"EAT MORE BUFFALO!"-Sitting Bull 1868

Alright now I need some input. I'm going to some big yearly ML sportsman type show on the 11th. It's my understanding that this is the one to go to for all my ML "traditional" needs.

To avoid getting scalped, I'd like some suggestions on quality rifles (Hawkens and others) such as makers and what a fair price would be? I'm open mostly to rifled percussion guns for now. I'll take the flintlock leap later.

Thanks! :hmm:

For some decent rifles, check out Track's web-site. They have some quality photographs of Hawkens and the names of makers as well as an idea of prices.

Check out John Bergmann's Vincent rifle on page 139 of TOTW's 05 catalog. He also has a picture of a very nice flintlock Hawken on page 141 of the same catalog. I can attest to the fact that he also builds very nice percussion Hawkens as I already have two made by him and am working on having a third made by him. He does outstanding work and his prices are rather reasonable! :winking:

Gmww,Coone,Flyboy ,,Ya Sitting Bull still is right! Don't get me wrong I just dont hunt, anyone that wants to thats great and I got no problem with it, I still take shoots at these hogs that cross out back.If I was at home (Alaska) I might be shooting the S... out of anything that moved. Gmww what show? And Im waiting on my Track cat to get here. The guy I got the Hawk from hasnt sent it , Im thinking he maybe has better price in mind now, its only been a week since I said i'll take it??? I got the Plainsrifle book onthe way, now if I can just find "B"s first book for 25, the old MB Hawken series just makes me want more. I've got one thing from all of it so far, they must of never made any 2 rifles the same. Fred :hatsoff:

sorry if i upset anyone, i have no problem in hunting for food,just the size of the target,the range of the shot,and what sounds like a docile farm animal that is used to human contact i see no sport in that.nuff said.i too love my hawken, i have 24 muzzle loaders and it is my favourite.

From what Ive read (and some of it in the Hawken books) the buff might just stand 25 to 50 feet away a 150 years ago while you shot away at them, if you got the big "she" buff you could shoot another dozen while they stood around. Now back to the Hawken. In case this guy keeps his :( Id still like to find a 1830s-40s type that I dont have to do the hard work to, I know I'd mess it up. Fred

Hey Fred, the show is put on by the Cascade Mountain man organization. Here is a link to the show. ML gun show.

Englishman I'll address your statement on this link. Hunting forum

You're right in stating that they must not have made any two rifles the same Fred. They may have been similar to each other but it would have been almost impossible to make exact duplicates of each due to the fact that they were all built by hand.

Ya I can see a lot of things that are not the same, and just read yesterday that the Hawken shop was not the Hawken store,(in St Lou) I was running copy of full size locks and maybe 2 or 3 are the same ,and none of the wood around them are at all , this is just 17 pics. Also even the copy made today seems to have to much wood on the upper forearms? TOTW ECT. It seems you could make a Hawken "style" that they all followed and maybe even build one that was made back when ,if you follow the known basics. ??? Fred :hatsoff:

For the novice like me, I'd sure like to see a photo of what each of you think the most traditional Hawkens is with an explaination as to why. It be interesting to see the different picks from each of you. I've heard all steel furniture vs some with brass, too much wood, etc.

Just a request. If you don't have a photo at means to post, no big deal. I'm just trying to increase my learning curve. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back