• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flintlock hawkin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
yes I know that Hawkins did not make a flintlock plains rifle or whatever the traditional Hawkins was.

I want a Pedersoli Missouri River Hawkin in .50 and maple but I want it in flintlock.

does anybody make a kit like this? Is there any pictures of one? Is it possible to make without breaking the bank.

I see that the Pedersoli Mortimer is flintlock but it's not maple.

By the time the Hawken brothers decided to get into full time production of rifles and shotguns the flint lock system was not the ignition system the Hawken brothers decided to build. And by the time John Gemmer got his own stamp the percussion system was the only system to be offered.

Now @bobthemotorcycle wants one and knows that it is a fantasy rifle. Well, Investarms does have such an offering and it does not break the bank. It will be hard to find one, but they are in the catalogs.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/investarm-gemmer-rifle-kit-50-cal-flintlock-ia3410k

I think that Investarms is your only option short of Pecatonica for a 'kit', and will cost about 1/3rd of the Pecatonica, and will take about 1/100th of the time, tools, and knowledge to put together. In your situation I think I'd be looking for an old TC flinter or the Investarms and a 'drop in' replacement stock, I think that is the only way to get curly maple without a full build. I have one of the Investarms 54 cal flint guns, it shoots really well, not even in the realm of historically correct but most people recogognize it as a plains rifle. For what they cost I think the investarms is a great value.

So I am watching a YouTube video and the maker of this rifle says it's an early flintlock hawkens with full stock. So hawkens made full length flintlock but no plains rifles with flintlock?

yes I know that Hawkins did not make a flintlock plains rifle or whatever the traditional Hawkins was.

I want a Pedersoli Missouri River Hawkin in .50 and maple but I want it in flintlock.

does anybody make a kit like this? Is there any pictures of one? Is it possible to make without breaking the bank.

I see that the Pedersoli Mortimer is flintlock but it's not maple.
I made mine front a Pecatonica stock, L&R lock, and Hoppy Hopkins barrel. You can find Hoppy's barrels any more, But maybe a Colerain, or Green Mountain?

So I am watching a YouTube video and the maker of this rifle says it's an early flintlock hawkens with full stock. So hawkens made full length flintlock but no plains rifles with flintlock?
Yes, there is a signed Lancaster styled Sam Hawken rifle in flint. There are Hawken Plains Rifles that have flint locks that were converted to percussion to mate up with barrels that were always breeched as percussion. There is no indication of the stock to indicate a conversion.

Yes, there are English sporting rifles in half stock that are flintlocks. Some meet the specifications of a "plains" rifle. Yes, you can find modern interpretations of a Hawken Plains Rifle in flint. Yes, Jake and Sam had the skills to make flintlock plains rifles, but they didn't for reasons lost to history.

Yes, there is a signed Lancaster styled Sam Hawken rifle in flint. There are Hawken Plains Rifles that have flint locks that were converted to percussion to mate up with barrels that were always breeched as percussion. There is no indication of the stock to indicate a conversion.

Yes, there are English sporting rifles in half stock that are flintlocks. Some meet the specifications of a "plains" rifle. Yes, you can find modern interpretations of a Hawken Plains Rifle in flint. Yes, Jake and Sam had the skills to make flintlock plains rifles, but they didn't for reasons lost to history.
Keep in mind that the mountain man era began right after percussion rifles were available. The Smithsonian has one full stock flintlock, but there are a few that will reject it as not legitimate, and was a conversion. I don't care, I like mine, and that's all that matters to me. Oh, yeah. I got plenty of flints. How many percussion caps do you have on hand? :p I'm also quite sure that many plains Indians rifles were still shooting flint. I'll bet the most of them could make their own flints!

Latest posts

Back