• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pistol loading in the day

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Does anyone have any original references describing how pistols were loaded in the 18th century?

Spence

No? It seems everyone has the same problem as I. Not surprising, in all my reading I have seen manny, many mentions of pistols, but very little about how they loaded them. Here’s all I’ve collected.

An Indian headman had been sentenced to death by his tribe and a relation assigned to do the job at a community dance:

“The Pennsylvania Gazette
August 30, 1753
...and for that End his Relation had provided himself with a Pistol, which he kept concealed under his Blanket, but by his Motion in Dancing the Bullet had dropt out, however he wounded him slightly with the Wadding and Powder; “

“The Pennsylvania Gazette
June 13, 1745
PHILADELPHIA, June 13. By Capt. Rees from Antigua,
.... they attempting to light a Fire by shooting the Wads of their Pistols into a Parcel of Oakum, “

In his journey to the Kentucky frontier in 1775, Nicholas Cresswell described an encounter with Indians on the river:

“I put a pistol bullet upon the load I already had in my Gun. I was determined to give some of them their quietus.”

He had previously said he usually loaded his gun with an ounce ball and seven swan shot. I’ve seen the term “pistol bullet” in other places, don’t know exactly what they meant by it.

Two footpads were caught in Philadelphia:

The Pennsylvania Gazette
PHILADELPHIA, August 31. 1749. ”¦.they were searched and two pistols found on them, loaded with cut slug Shot, and in their Pockets some Powder, cut slug Shot, and Pistol Bullets, with the Money taken from Mr.Green:”

Spence

Powder and ball, sure, but I have seen no evidence of patch. Got some? :grin:

Spence

Of course, what one man does has absolutely nothing to do with what another man does but the ball falling out would indicate to me that at least one person forgot the patch or an overwad.

Your findings are great but as you know, folks didn't seem to write down instructions for what was probably common knowledge.

They seemed to save their writings for important things like "Zachary died of the colic yesterday.".

Yup, the important things, there were more than enough of those.

In Re loading pistols see Thomas Pynchon's Mason & Dixon. Its historical fiction, not a primary source which is what the initial question asks about, but a few really good pistol loadin' passages and full of black powder, 18th century America, and much else. Much else.

I found some more interesting items in the newspapers of the day.

It seems a common habit to load pistols with two balls. Many items to that effect, here are two:

"The South Carolina Gazette
June 21, 1742
Charleston, South Carolina
This Day a melancholly Accident happened in this Place”¦. shot herself with a Pistol, loaded with a Brace of Balls, through the Body; and expired in an Hour or two after,"

"The Pennsylvania Gazette
February 12, 1783
The Negroe having a pistol in his hand, discharged it at the subscriber, and the two balls that were in the pistol, hit the leather jacket he had on, but did not enter his body, though he was very much hurt, "

The military used cartridges, this item for mounted troops:

April 24, 1793
An ACT for the regulation of the Militia of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. ”¦. a pair of boots and spurs, a pair of pistols, a sabre, and cartouch box to contain twelve cartridges for pistols;"

And now I'll feel perfectly HC when I go after squirrels with my pistol loaded with shot:

March 28, 1751
”¦.taking his Pistols with him, he went down, and opened his Door, and seeing three Persons, discharged one of the Pistols, which was loaded with Pidgeon Shot, amongst them, and presently the second,”¦."

Spence

Back