• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fast follow up shot for a single shot pistol or rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
These questions could be in either the rifle or pistol forums so I put it in the forum I happened to have open.
I have often wondered what is the loading sequence for a fast follow up shot for a single shot patched ball percussion or flintlock pistol or rifle? What accessories would be used to speed up a quick reload for each ignition type firearm? Surely there must have been some tricks used in centuries past where a wounded bear or two legged adversary was coming to get you. o_O

Paper “cartridges”, hand made paper tubes with powder and ball (the first “cartridges“), is the only way I’ve heard to speed the process, and it’s just pre-measuring the charge instead of measuring it before loading. I don’t think the patch was in the paper cartridge, but I could be wrong. Pouring and measuring the charge probably takes the most time, so it makes sense to have your troops on the firing to have charges pre-measured to increase volleys.

Later they were made with nitrated paper that would burn/flash, and you loaded the paper too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_cartridge

In movies I’ve seen people fire the ramrods, and I’m sure that happened. If you were on one of those firing lines getting charged I’m sure getting one last shot off before H2H would be a priority. A hickory stick going a thousand feet per second would ruin your day, and I know I’d rather scrap with someone with one sticking out of their chest.

I once entered a shooting match with my Hawken against other shooters with cartridge single shots... I started with my regular target load of 50 grains, patched ball. Steel buffalo ¼ size @ 150 yards. After my 1st shot, a quick breath down the bore, dumped a premeasured charge and dropped a naked ball very close to bare size, tapped the butt on my foot to seat the ball, capped & fired, repeat for 10 shots. Wasn't fastest, but outta 30 shooters, I was 7th or 8th for 10 hits, time being the tie breaker. Of course, this nearly a 40 year younger version of me!
eot87-1.jpg

"Fast" being a relative term!

For those that have watched the excellent TV series "SHARPE" there is one episode where he instructs a group of soldiers how to reload their flintlocks in a rapid manner. Poured the powder and dropped the ball down the hole, a rap of the buttplate on the ground and fire. Not sure how accurate or what velocity they would be doing, but enough to make the baddies fall down dead, or think twice about coming any closer.

For modern hunting scenario, a store bought speed loader can be reloaded in about ten seconds. For a while I carried a Lyman Great Plains for a finishing shot to my GPR, (in NY there is a minimum barrel length and caliber, both med, and must be on pistol permit), but I didnt carry it long. Too much weight, and simply put...by the time smoke is cleared to see shot results, I can be reloaded.

These questions could be in either the rifle or pistol forums so I put it in the forum I happened to have open.
I have often wondered what is the loading sequence for a fast follow up shot for a single shot patched ball percussion or flintlock pistol or rifle? What accessories would be used to speed up a quick reload for each ignition type firearm? Surely there must have been some tricks used in centuries past where a wounded bear or two legged adversary was coming to get you. o_O
Two shot rifle

Attachments

• 20210924_113545.jpg
    20210924_113545.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210924_113604.jpg
    20210924_113604.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210924_114446.jpg
    20210924_114446.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
For a hunting situation, I carry a single shot Lyman plains pistol or Traditions Trapper pistol which, for convenience, are the same caliber as my rifle. The pistol is carried in my backpack. Once comfy in my position or stand, I load the pistol and set it in an accessible position. This allows for a quick back up shot if the game is close. Sometimes the rifle is my back up shot to my pistol for very close ranges. Normally, the pistol is available for a finishing off shot if needed.

Hunting situation reloads are with premeasured powder containers whether paper, plastic or other. Patches & balls are kept handy and are simply loaded as I would anywhere.

Best hunting situations are the result of quality practice while at the range or practicing shooting. Mimic hunting scenarios while practicing and one will perform their best in the excitement of the hunting situation. This applies to shooting and reloading in a timely but accurate manor.

Have fun!
DanL

Fast reload and traditional muzzleloading are not really compatible subjects. Use of a second pistol would be the usual practice.

Make the first shot count. A reload can be done in 10 seconds when prepared with a paper wrapped cartridge and well practiced. We strive in the unit to be able to get off three shots in a minute, sometimes 4. That's why we have bayonets and hangars (swords).

Last edited:
Make the first shot count. A reload can be done in 10 seconds when prepared with a paper wrapped cartridge and well practiced. We strive in the unit to be able to get off three shots in a minute, sometimes 4. That's why we have bayonets and hangars.
You brought up an interesting thought. I have a CVA 50 cal. percussion Kentucky pistol that I have always just loaded with patch and ball. Being a neophyte with single shot BP pistols, I would like to try making and loading paper cartridges in the pistol. Do I just load the pistol by tearing the paper cartridge open, pouring the powder down the barrel and using the remaining paper as a wad and plunging the ball down the barrel like a civil war rifle or can I just load the whole paper cartridge as if loading a revolver cylinder? Does the idea of not having a lubed patch have any consequences?

Coming from some one who has actually done it in the field (myself), I carry a couple of .451 balls in my pocket. I wasn't in such a hurry that I had to charge directly from my horn so I poured a charge from my measure down the bore of the Douglas 45 caliber and rammed home the .451 ball. I killed the javelina that I flat missed with the first shot. The range was 20-25 yards and the ball went right where it was supposed to. I carried the rifle around 50 yards before I got the shot. I'd practiced this routine before and knew the ball wasn't going to move forward in the barrel.

Coming from some one who has actually done it in the field (myself), I carry a couple of .451 balls in my pocket. I wasn't in such a hurry that I had to charge directly from my horn so I poured a charge from my measure down the bore of the Douglas 45 caliber and rammed home the .451 ball. I killed the javelina that I flat missed with the first shot. The range was 20-25 yards and the ball went right where it was supposed to. I carried the rifle around 50 yards before I got the shot. I'd practiced this routine before and knew the ball wasn't going to move forward in the barrel.
I agree practice,practice

Back