• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hunting with Lyman Plains Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a .54 Plains Pistol and my son gave me a.50 kit. Does anyone hunt with one? Any sharing of loads and projectiles would be appreciated. Shot or round ball.
Thanks,
Ferret Master

I’ve used my 54 Lyman on small game. Round ball and 30 grains is quite accurate. I try for head shots but hitting the neck counts.

You might be able to get a deer VERY close up, you would need nerves of steel…

I have a CVA Crocket .32 pistol that I have been using for squrirels and rabbits with pretty good results. Just wanted to see what others experiences have been with deer sized game.

I haven't done it with a single shot like yours, but I've killed a couple deer with revolvers. If you can shoot well and know deer anatomy, do like Hermit Tim suggested, you'll be fine.
You have months to practice, sight it in and get away from the bench. Practice in field positions, in the woods preferably, and you should be fine tuned by season opener. Luck to you!

I've hunted deer size game with both 50 & 54 but only with a rifle in barrels down to 24 in. Over decades I've killed many with BP and I personally consider a minum charge of 60g 3F for either caliber. That is a very stout charge for a pistol and again I wouldn' t hunt with it until I could hit every shot within 4 in. That is going to be some close up shooting for most pistols to get a humane kill. For reference I use 80g 3F in my 50 and 90g 3F in my 54 rifles. I don't want to discourage you from hunting this way, only bringing the reality that it will require some effort to ensure a clean quick kill. Some may disagree but those are my standards.

I have never got my chance to take the shot with my .50 single shot pistol (CVA Hawken) but I have no doubt inside of 30 yards it would do the job.

I have seen a number of deer kills with single shot pistols in this very forums hunting forum over the years. I know I am rather accurate inside of 30 yards with my pistol so I wouldn't hesitate to take my shot.

Know where to shoot a deer, shoot it with an adequate powder charge in the boiler and it is over. (Now many states have a minimum powder load for pistols used in deer hunting. So be sure you are compliant. )

Back