• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fast follow up shot for a single shot pistol or rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, but the meat is good if you don't cut off the gland first and then gut them. I gut them first thing and then find a place to hang the critter to skin it. Apparently, from what I've been told anyway, there can be a big difference in the smell depending on the area and the diet. The ones here in Southeast AZ don't seem too bad.
I didn't mention it before but I'm going to try "chewed balls" in my 54 to see if they will stay put in the bore since I don't have a mold to cast them oversize. No, I won't chew on them, I'll roll them between a coarse files.

In movies I’ve seen people fire the ramrods, and I’m sure that happened. If you were on one of those firing lines getting charged I’m sure getting one last shot off before H2H would be a priority. A hickory stick going a thousand feet per second would ruin your day, and I know I’d rather scrap with someone with one sticking out of their chest.
Won't get any more shots after losing your ramrod.... accurately .

True, but if you're still standing after H2 with bayonets there might be a couple "lying around". I know the guy with the ramrod sticking out of his chest isn't using his...

the fastest reload was a second loaded firearm. Sgt Alvin York wrote about being able to load on the run very quickly . poar the powder into a cupped hand and measure by sight and feel. dump it down the barrel and seat the patched ball with his thumb.

the fastest reload was a second loaded firearm. Sgt Alvin York wrote about being able to load on the run very quickly . poar the powder into a cupped hand and measure by sight and feel. dump it down the barrel and seat the patched ball with his thumb.
Short starter? Real sharpshooters don't need no stinkin' short starters!

The story is from the beginning of his book. Describing their Sunday after church turkey shoots and how he usually went home with the turkey. Claimed his old converted to percussion front stuffer was more accurate than all the modern rifles on anything inside 100yrds. I found it quite interesting that he patched loose enough to start with his thumb. I see so many folks really fighting it to seat a ball.

If hunting something that has the potential to be dangerous (pigs, bears, etc) then I would really like to have a buddy there with his rifle loaded and ready as well.

Failing that, my plan for hog hunting (if I can find a spot) is to carry my 1858 as well as my .54 percussion.

Back