• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

“Kentucky pistol” in history

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I hope everyone is doing well.

The lineage of the kentucky rifle is well established and full of mythology and myriad terminology, generally referring to an American built full stock rifle used in the late 18th and early 19th century. (We all know what is being referred to here, no need to debate my brief description)

However…
In the same era that the Kentucky rifle was being used and gaining fame, were ‘Kentucky pistols’ also being made and being referred to by that name?

I tend to think the name came into use during the muzzleloading revival beginning in the 1960s-‘70s to describe a full stocked octagon barrel handgun.

No doubt handguns of that style existed contemporary with the ‘Kentucky rifle’, but were any built to be called ‘Kentucky pistols”?

No and nor were the rifles called "Kentucky Rifles" until the 1800s...Most references to rifles were either rifled barrel guns or screw guns in the 1700s...

Great Question.

I always liked the Kentucky because of the pronounced bird beak grip.

Looks like it was especially designed to hook into a belt or a sash.

I need to get that Kibler Ketland lock so I can finish mine.

Latest posts

Back