• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta Problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APG

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Seems that the reloading lever latch broke off of my Sheriff's model Bew Army revolver. I think I'll make a quick repair using JB Weld. This is the same revolver that came to me with the front sight broken off and the JB Weld repair has been working fine for a couple of years.

Attachments

• 20211220_162856.jpg
    20211220_162856.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 142
  • 20211220_162719.jpg
    20211220_162719.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 134
Sure wasn't holding by very much, was it? It must have come pretty close to shearing off when it was tightened. Do I see the remains of a thread? Was it threaded in there?

I wouldn't expect epoxy to hold against a shear force.

See if the stub will unthread. If it does, braze the two pieces back together or make a new one. Or maybe even contact Pietta with the photos and see if they'll send you a new one. It's very plainly a manufacturing defect.

I would first try to unthread it as Dude suggested and then try to buy a replacement part. If that does not work, I would dovetail in a new one. As others have stated epoxy will not hold up with that kind of fracture but what the hell - give it a try what do you have to lose?

Seems that the reloading lever latch broke off of my Sheriff's model Bew Army revolver. I think I'll make a quick repair using JB Weld. This is the same revolver that came to me with the front sight broken off and the JB Weld repair has been working fine for a couple of years.

Will not help you now, but look at Powder Inc., I use their loading stands so you can load off the pistol.

Saves wear and tear on the pistol and it much easier to load.

If it is threaded you might run into clocking issues.
If it was mine and it was threaded I would get a bolt of good metal and dress it to fit the hole. Mark the orientation then cut the notch then install it with locktite. Or drop in fit and solder.
Never had this issue but the fix fits other issues I've run in to.

FishDFly has the right idea.

This is the loading stand I use. A real time saver. I have two BP cylinders, I can load the both at home in the comfort of my "office", all ready to go with the exception, I do not put the percussion caps on the nipples until I am at the range or in the field. I can store the loaded cylinders in my safe, it has two de-humidifiers in it so the powder doesn't absorb moisture. That stand makes it much easier to reload at the range too. Hope this helps. I paid about $29.95 and it's worth it's weight in gold.

211221-001  2 x 1_333.jpg

210714-003  2 x 1_33.jpg

211221_002  2 x 1_333.jpg

Will not help you now, but look at Powder Inc., I use their loading stands so you can load off the pistol.

Saves wear and tear on the pistol and it much easier to load.
I shoot snubbies and off the gun loading is necessary. A Powder Inc stand is used to load the .36 Navy and it works quite well and it works well with .451" ball but for me not so much with .454' or .457". for the 1861 Army.
respectfully
Bunk

Neither the loading lever latch not the front sight on Pietta Remingtons are mechanically attached to the barrel. The latch and sight both have flat bottoms that fit into a flat bottomed slight recess in the barrel. I honestly have no idea how they are attached at the factory but I suspect they may be soldered in place. My only experience with one was on a Pietta I had bought my wife. The latch popped off and the recess in the barrel showed the same blue as the barrel which made me think it had never been properly attached, possibly only pressed into the recess. By the time this happened the revolver had been completely reworked and would be out of warranty not that that was a consideration given the rework. The nationals were only a few days off and my wife couldn't shoot the team and individual matches with the gun in that condition. I called Taylors and neither of us could make it there when they were open but Sue said she would be there at 6:00 AM loading guns and parts to take to the suttlers and I could come by. She didn't have a Uberti Remington latch but did have one for a 60 Army so I got that and a friend installed it. It really didn't look out of place and worked fine.

Epoxy may work for the sight but it won't last for the latch, too much pressure on it. I would suggest buying the latch, as well as the front sight, for a Uberti and dovetailing them in place. That's a permanent repair and you'll also have a windage adjustable front sight. Attempting to silver solder or braze it in place will ruin the barrel. Soft solder might work but I wouldn't depend on it long term myself.

Last edited:
That same thing happened to my old Navy Arms/Uberti Remington many years ago. It fell off and I lost it. I made a new one and soldered it back in place. I don't remember what kind of solder I used, but the flux ran around the side of the barrel and messed up the blueing. It never came loose again, though.

Solder is the answer. I removed one on a small 31 cal Remington/CVA for a repair. Just clean up the hole and latch, use a small clamp/vice to hold in place at the right orientation, and use a small mini torch to keep the heat focused. You will need to touch up the blueing afterwards, but it is a permanent fix.

OP, if you don't have the ability to re solder the latch, then I suggest that you clean it up with solvent and use JB weld on it. I have done a few of those over the years and they are still working fine. (and I shoot them, they are not wall hangers)

Back