• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poo Poo Pietta #2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well yet again my 1858 Pietta has let me down. Less than 50 rounds through the gun and the lock tab for the loading lever popped off when I shot it. The gun came fron Dixi Gun works and was listed as new. The gun must of been a demo model because the nipples and hammer had signs of dry firing. I never dropped the gun or anything. Look at these photos of the gun and replacement part I ordered from Taylor's. How does it mount? Silver solder? Press fit? If I can't repair with this part I'll have to order the part for an Uberettie as they are dovetailed in. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20230611_094625.jpg
    20230611_094625.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230611_094637.jpg
    20230611_094637.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230611_094746.jpg
    20230611_094746.jpg
    667 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230611_094753.jpg
    20230611_094753.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 0
The recess in the barrel is very shallow so I doubt you could stake it in, The front sight can be soldered back in place after everything is cleaned and unless it is struck by something it won't give any trouble. This will not work with the loading lever latch as there's too much pressure on it coupled with the inertia from recoil.

The only really good and permanent fix is to buy a latch and sight for a Uberti and have them dovetailed into your barrel. Both these are dovetailed in a Uberti and it will give you the advantage of a drift adjustable front sight.

This is a factory warranty issue and I recommend you contact Dixie. The gun should be replaced.

I'm not sure how common this is but I've heard of numerous instances of it happening. My wife was shooting a Pietta .36 Remington and the loading lever catch popped off just a few days before the Nationals and she wouldn't be allowed to shoot with the lever tied up. Replacing the gun was out of the question as we had done extensive modifications to it. With the hours I was working I couldn't get to Taylors but I called and Sue said she was going to be in at 6 AM to load up to take things to the sutlers at the range and I could come by. She didn't have one for a Remington so I got one for a 60 Army. A friend fitted it to the gun and she was able to shoot the matches that weekend. The Army latch worked just fine and no one ever noticed that it wasn't correct for the gun.

Well yet again my 1858 Pietta has let me down. Less than 50 rounds through the gun and the lock tab for the loading lever popped off when I shot it. The gun came fron Dixi Gun works and was listed as new. The gun must of been a demo model because the nipples and hammer had signs of dry firing. I never dropped the gun or anything. Look at these photos of the gun and replacement part I ordered from Taylor's. How does it mount? Silver solder? Press fit? If I can't repair with this part I'll have to order the part for an Uberettie as they are dovetailed in. Thoughts?
Would that super-weld epoxy hold it?

This ☝️If you aren't well versed in sweating soft solder, ask someone who is to help you and show you how. Basically, you need to sand the bottom of the hole to clean the metal, as well as the latch. Tin both by putting a paper thin layer of solder down. I use rosin core, the rosin is the flux and won't hurt the bluing. Neither will the temp that solder melts at. Wipe excess off with a clean rag if you have to. Put the pieces together and clamp lightly. Heat to remelt the solder and add a little if it takes it readily. The key is to get a good, thin, solder joint.

Back