• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1851 noobie first impressions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a noobie to muzzle loading but not to firearms.

Got the Pietta 1851 in the mail yesterday. Bought the cheapest new case hardened 1851 I could find. I was gifted a colt gen 3 1851 and didn't want to bugger it so hence I bought this. If my colt is a 10, and my Uberti 1873 Cattleman 45 LC cartridge is a 9, then this is an 7.5. Its a Nissan not a Lexus.

Now, it is exactly what I expected at this price point. It was a bit rough with a couple minor sharp edges and a bit of rubbing here and there but nothing major and no nasty machine marks. The cylinder snugs up really well (by cartridge standards) and it seems solid. A bit of Flitz and just working the cycle a couple hundred times (no dry fires) it smoothed up considerably. The trigger is plenty light and I am not crazy about light triggers. All the hardware was tight and the first 6 test shots were fine and on the money. I did take a very fine polishing stone and used the butt end to smooth those 2 little grips to unlock the loading handle. Those babies were sharp and wanted blood. Bonus, I got to file my gun!

My only complaint is that I hate the plastic grips. Possibly the worst stock grips I have ever owned. The only good thing I can say is that they are checkered and might be handy with a bunch of goop all over the place. They don't fit the gun very well, they look and feel cheap, and they are too thin. Yuck! And I have small hands and generally ok with almost any grips. Not these.

I ordered some unfinished walnut grips from Taylor as they had the best price I could find. I think the grips will bump this gun to an 8 or even an 8.5.

This gun is for me to learn with, whether it be filing sights, grips, parts, etc. The stuff that muzzle loading people do. I just didn't want to do it with a Colt. What would Sam think?

In conclusion, I Love it and would do it again. Nissan does win its share of races after all. Kudos to Natchez in TN for a smooth deal.

Cheers,

Wheelman

So i decided to see how accurate this thing is.
It is sunny out today and not afraid of the thing blowing up.
It has beem a while but i tried to focus on making good shots.
Off hand at 21 feet with the sun in my eyes.
This thing will shoot. Todays 3 shots in the circle. Aiming at center of circle i drew on board before taking shots 7,8,9.
Same loads as above.

Attachments

• 20230624_173956.jpg
    20230624_173956.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Thought the load was posted
Used guns of the west paper kit. So paper carts using his measuring cup which is around 17-18 grains of pyrodex p.
.375 hornady balls. Cart dipped in the 50/50 lube that came with the kit. Beeswax and lamb tallow I think.
Looks like they almost want to start keyholing.

The x out shots were yesterday just trying to test the gun in the rain just aiming at the center of the board to see how it fired.

Cheers!

I had a Pietta 60 army, still have a short barreled 51 Navy 44 and a 58 Remington, they're all good shooters. Enjoy your new Navy, and keep us posted on your adventures with it!

Ok, i loaded up 3 and went outback with a fancy target i had in inventory.

Same batch of paper carts as above.

60 yards off hand.

Unfortunately, my new 18 cent remington #10 caps dont work so well.
Had to drop the hammer on 2 of the shots.
Needless to say, it didnt help my shooting.

All to the right.

Might try again tomorrow with #11.

Dont blame the gun as i have not shot in years.

Need some trigger time.

Attachments

• 20230627_173059.jpg
    20230627_173059.jpg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230627_173242.jpg
    20230627_173242.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Depending on the nipples, your first trigger pull may have only seated the cap, for actual firing on the second strike. I use a piece of bone to make sure the caps are fully seated.

I think you are correct.

Once i am back up and running, i 0lan to try several of the caps i have. So far, the winchester magnum #11 work best but i need to try some others.
I have the stock nipples on right now.

Latest posts

Back