• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I got a screw loose!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything wrong with using a lubed wad as a temporary spacer if i need more gap? I had not seen this option discussed.

Be safe out there.

Wheelman

Well, steel is better for the forces you're dealing with. I doubt a lubed wad will handle it.

"Not jamming the wedge . . . "
If the wedge is causing the problem, it's definitely a short arbor problem. Pre 2012 (or so) tend to have short arbors.

Mike

Thanks.

These are new piettas.

Next step is to find some small split washers and see what I see.

Not sure I can do too much damage playing with spacers.

I have read where some say the wedge should be tightly installed.

Others say just as long as it is in there.

I would assume a tight barrel would be more accurate.

Wheelman

Thanks.

These are new piettas.

Next step is to find some small split washers and see what I see.

Um, as long as you bend the "split washers" into flat washers ( why not just use flat ?).

I have read where some say the wedge should be tightly installed.
Wheelman

Yeah, I'd go along with that . . .

Others say just as long as it is in there.

Well, just in there? Why bother ? Maybe put it in your pocket just in case ? 🤣

Of course a "fixed" barrel would be more accurate than a loose one. Try searching "short arbor"

Mike

Reading this, most screw damage comes from cam out sometimes even with proper fitting blades. One tip I can give is use some valve LAPPING compound, not the grinding its a finer grade, it adds grip to the driver to help eliminate slippage. Works on aircraft screws!
coupe

I've always checked the screws on a new percussion revolver for tightness before ever doing the first loading. Have found a few here and there over the years (cap and ball shooting sine 1972) that were loose. Just a precautionary measure. I've even done so on newly bought modern firearms whether they're new or used. Check them off and on also when not doing a complete disassembly. Use proper hollow ground screwdrivers, not some Craftsman or Stanley driver outa yer toolbox. In regards to arbor fix, I've used four thickness of brass washers same diameter as the arbor to get a solid fit on my cappers that needed it, even stoned down the thinnest of the four to get a fit. If you do the washer route (forget about split washers) just remember when you separate the barrel and frame to catch it and replace when reassembling. I put a small dab of grease on the washer so as to hold it in place. Works high 90% of time. Not all of my Uberti's needed arbor fitting. Some say all do, but I have four that didn't, even paper thin brass washers were too much. Other Uberti owners on another forum have mentioned the "not need" for arbor fitting on Uberti revolvers. One of these days I hope to do a permanent fix to the arbors and forget about the washers, but they do such a great job, that's why I've put doing so on the backburner. If the arbor needs fitting do so, but its sort of like crossing a river, why get yer pants wet when there's a bridge nearby.

Last edited:
I've been shooting Uberti produced 1851s (although they all have Colt markings), since 1986 and have never faced a short arbor "problem". They might or might not be, but if you don't force the wedge to the point that your cylinder won't turn, you don't have a problem. My guns set up to shoot, will run all day with a tight .002" of barrel/cylinder gap. Synthetic grease on the arbor, 15 grains of 3F Goex, a lubed wad and a .375 Hornady round ball. If the .375 doesn't cut a slight "ring" off lead off the ball, go to .380s.

Blue loc-tite will work for screws that need removed occasionally but it will promote screw head bugger without properly fitting driver tips. Red loc-tite is for permanent screws.
if you read the permatex recommendations blue loc tite is for 1/4 inch and up, purple is what should be used on most gun screws . red should never see a gun.

I've been shooting Uberti produced 1851s (although they all have Colt markings), since 1986 and have never faced a short arbor "problem". They might or might not be, but if you don't force the wedge to the point that your cylinder won't turn, you don't have a problem. My guns set up to shoot, will run all day with a tight .002" of barrel/cylinder gap. Synthetic grease on the arbor, 15 grains of 3F Goex, a lubed wad and a .375 Hornady round ball. If the .375 doesn't cut a slight "ring" off lead off the ball, go to .380s.

Yes, light loads in a 36 won't have noticeable effects because of a short arbor. Of course to your point about being able to lock the cylinder up because of the wedge that = short arbor.
How do you "set yours up"?

Mike

I've always checked the screws on a new percussion revolver for tightness before ever doing the first loading. Have found a few here and there over the years (cap and ball shooting sine 1972) that were loose. Just a precautionary measure. I've even done so on newly bought modern firearms whether they're new or used. Check them off and on also when not doing a complete disassembly. Use proper hollow ground screwdrivers, not some Craftsman or Stanley driver outa yer toolbox. In regards to arbor fix, I've used four thickness of brass washers same diameter as the arbor to get a solid fit on my cappers that needed it, even stoned down the thinnest of the four to get a fit. If you do the washer route (forget about split washers) just remember when you separate the barrel and frame to catch it and replace when reassembling. I put a small dab of grease on the washer so as to hold it in place. Works high 90% of time. Not all of my Uberti's needed arbor fitting. Some say all do, but I have four that didn't, even paper thin brass washers were too much. Other Uberti owners on another forum have mentioned the "not need" for arbor fitting on Uberti revolvers. One of these days I hope to do a permanent fix to the arbors and forget about the washers, but they do such a great job, that's why I've put doing so on the backburner. If the arbor needs fitting do so, but its sort of like crossing a river, why get yer pants wet when there's a bridge nearby.
The removable washer is my (semi) permanent fix. Theoretically everything should stay the same but just in case it doesn't I like the idea of being able to easily change or adjust the washer thickness. Seems to me, in life, nothing ever stays the same.

Yes, light loads in a 36 won't have noticeable effects because of a short arbor. Of course to your point about being able to lock the cylinder up because of the wedge that = short arbor.
How do you "set yours up"?

Mike
Ruger plunger & hand spring along with a Manhattan Conversion, plus a wire trigger & bolt spring. Timed so the bolt hits just ahead of the midpoint of the ramp before lockup.

Um, as long as you bend the "split washers" into flat washers ( why not just use flat ?).

Yeah, I'd go along with that . . .

Well, just in there? Why bother ? Maybe put it in your pocket just in case ? 🤣

Of course a "fixed" barrel would be more accurate than a loose one. Try searching "short arbor"

Mike
You and I can argue Pietta vs Uberti 'till the good Lord cometh home, but the rest will never get proper arbor fit or Rem vs Colt!!!!!!

You and I can argue Pietta vs Uberti 'till the good Lord cometh home, but the rest will never get proper arbor fit or Rem vs Colt!!!!!!

Of course we can!!! 🤣 ( how many have you worked on?)
The Uberti vs Pietta ?!
All my conversions are Uberti's!!
Imput from close sources tend to agree with me between the two . . .
As far as my testing of the open-top platform, I'll stick with what I have.
I'll be more than happy to test Pietta's when I'm done with my own revolvers.

Mike

So after a bit more reading up on the subject, i do not think I have a short arbor on either of the piettas. If i put the barrel on at 90 degrees more or less, it looks like it lines up ok. If i rotate it, it looks spot on. I took a picture but I had to take it at an angle. I am trying to show with the arbor all the way in, the paper is not bending.

Attachments

• 20230704_121452.jpg
    20230704_121452.jpg
    736.3 KB · Views: 0
So after a bit more reading up on the subject, i do not think I have a short arbor on either of the piettas. If i put the barrel on at 90 degrees more or less, it looks like it lines up ok. If i rotate it, it looks spot on. I took a picture but I had to take it at an angle. I am trying to show with the arbor all the way in, the paper is not bending.
Piettas for several years now have not had a short arbor problem. If I remember correctly, Pietta solved this 15+ years ago. It's just Uberti now with the short arbor on Colt replicas that they REFUSE to address.

That's really not a valid test for short arbor. You have to clean up the arbor ( remove material) to be able to insert the arbor fully so that you can then turn the barrel assy down to meet the frame to then see if you have a short arbor. Loss of material for a test doesn't make much sense. It's easy enough to just drop a thin washer down the arbor hole and see if you can assemble the revolver. If you can, get a thicker washer. When you can't, sand the washer down until you can and you're good to go.
Then you'll still have the material you'd waste for a test!

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I think that I did that as the guns have like 3 shots down one and 12 down the other. Having said that, I am going to try the washer and see for sure. I was able to rotate the barrel pretty easily and "knock it" against the gun to get it right next to the pins while applying pressure to ensure the arbor was seated on both piettas. But why not see for sure? I guess if there are gaps then that will tell the story? On another note, I got curious and took the barrel and cylinder off the Gen 3 colt 1851 and I could not easily twist the barrel on the arbor and it may indeed have a short arbor based on these tests and observations to date. It almost felt like the arbor was twisting but I did not monkey with it long once I realized that it was oily and dirty. This gun was shot and it does need a good cleaning. Just holding off until I get a bit more comfortable with these 1851s. I think once I get the parts from EMF and I strip mine down one more time and replace the hammer, I might be ready to clean the Gen 3 and see what I see.

Only one way to get experience I guess.

Again, thanks to ALL for the input.

Wheelman

Back