• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I got a screw loose!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Actually lots of screws.

While removing my grips, I noticed that one of the trigger guard screws was missing from my new Pietta with 12 shots thru it.

Then, I checked all the other screws and most were loose?

I never had to check the screws on my new cartridge guns. Is this something that I missed in my research or is this not normal?

Called Natchez and they said contact Pietta.

Contacted EMF and they gave me an email at Pietta.

Sent an email and got an auto response saying they would try and get to me within a day. To be fair, they did include a phone number in the auto response.

Wheelman.

My local Ace hardware has gun specific screws in the bins of specialty fasteners. Take the frame with you, maybe you can match it up. Beware, it could be metric, don't force it

I just broke my gun without firing it. Lost the first click that puts it in free wheel. Locks up immediately.
Not sure if I bent/broke something when putting on that unfitted grip but now with old grips on still broke.
I think I saw a thread on something like this.
Maybe I bent the main spring and broke a piece.

I just broke my gun without firing it. Lost the first click that puts it in free wheel. Locks up immediately.
Not sure if I bent/broke something when putting on that unfitted grip but now with old grips on still broke.
Maybe I bent the main spring and broke a piece.
At the very real risk of being offensive, it sounds like you don't know anything about reproduction revolvers.

If this is the case, pack up all the parts and send it to Taylor's Firearm Company and have them rebuild it. If they still provide this service.

When you get it back, leave it alone. Just because things have screws, it doesn't mean you should turn them.

Good luck getting her up and running again.

And I am not offended. I bought this gun to try and learn something about these 1851's and not bugger up the 2 colts that we have over here. So far so good.
I am not very mechanically oriented and never have been. I can read and learn. Keeping my old Ford tractors running is about my limit.
When I first started making fishing rods, it was ugly.
After a while, I was taking orders from people.
Once I stopped having fun, I stopped making rods.
If the only thing I learn is to take the colts to a gun smith, then that is fine.

But good advice, I certainly want to be safe no matter what.

Maybe I bent the main spring and broke a

It's a timing issue. First the hammer has to fall all the way down to reset the action. The tail of the bolt must pass over the cam on the hammer so that the cam can pick up the tail of the bolt as you cock it and lower the bolt to free up the cylinder. A second issue could be the tail of the bolt slipping over the cam on the hammer as soon as you start to cock it leaving the bolt locked in the cylinder. Either way it sounds like you need some outside help.

I was able to take it apart and put it back together. Was hoping to find a piece of spent cap or something obviously broken. Didnt clean it because first time doing it. Didnt seem too dirty.
Gonna try it again and clean the parts a bit.
I dont think i damaged anything with replacing the grips.
Guessing something got worn or broken due to all the screws being loose and me not catching it?
Gun has 12 rounds down it with plinking loads.

Actually lots of screws.

While removing my grips, I noticed that one of the trigger guard screws was missing from my new Pietta with 12 shots thru it.

Then, I checked all the other screws and most were loose?

I never had to check the screws on my new cartridge guns. Is this something that I missed in my research or is this not normal?

Called Natchez and they said contact Pietta.

Contacted EMF and they gave me an email at Pietta.

Sent an email and got an auto response saying they would try and get to me within a day. To be fair, they did include a phone number in the auto response.

Wheelman.
An old gunsmith trick to tighten screws down is to get them good and snug then give each one a whack on the end of the screw diver while in the slot and it will usually give another 1/4 turn.

My 1851 Navy (pietta) did the same thing. That little bit of wear you see on the hammer cam allowed the tail of the bolt to slip past it causing the bolt to stay locked up. A new hammer solved that. If your gun is new I'd send it back , let them fix it.
DSC_4960.JPG

I never had to check the screws on my new cartridge guns.
Well, I think you've just been lucky. Checking screw tightness while cleaning is one step that I apply to ALL my guns, and I find loose screws all the time. I don't know why or how it happens, but sometimes non-loctited screws work themselves loose even when a gun sits in storage and hasn't been used.

Back