• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion nipple split!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RanD

32 Cal
Reaction score
I was shooting my 50 cal. T/C Hawkins at the range today and all was going well, good group, lots of smoke, good ball and patch combination, and I was thinking of taking one more shot and I noticed that the #11 percussion nipple had a split but stopped at the threads. Granted this rifle is 40 years old and all original so my best guess would be metal fatigue. Any other input?

Many years ago at an Old Northwest rendezvous a teenage girl's rifle nipple split. Her mother gave her the camp name "Split Nipple". My great nephew said:" I can understand her brother calling her split nipple, but not her mother!" Yea, it happens now and then. In her case the nipple was a new one that was brittle from improper hardening. But I agree your's was probably from fatigue. But you now also have a new camp name "Split Nipple"!

I love the new name! Yes as soon as I got home I ordered a few replacements.

Not uncommon, especially with stainless steel nipples which tend to be brittle. Time for a new nipple.

Back