• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virtuoso87

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all, I came into possession of what I was told is an western arms replica of an 1813. I wasn’t told anything else. I can’t find any info but I think it might be an 1860 navy? It has uberti on the side of the barrel and western arms on the top of the barrel. It has ships on the cylinder with the words engaged in 16 May 1843. It’s missing the site and whatever piece that would be under the barrel. I’m having a hard time getting info because I don’t know what it is to look for. If anyone has any information they can offer I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_6892.jpeg
    IMG_6892.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6893.jpeg
    IMG_6893.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6894.jpeg
    IMG_6894.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6895.jpeg
    IMG_6895.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6896.jpeg
    IMG_6896.jpeg
    784 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6897.jpeg
    IMG_6897.jpeg
    1,019 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6898.jpeg
    IMG_6898.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6899.jpeg
    IMG_6899.jpeg
    904.6 KB · Views: 0
Hello all, I came into possession of what I was told is an western arms replica of an 1813. I wasn’t told anything else. I can’t find any info but I think it might be an 1860 navy? It has uberti on the side of the barrel and western arms on the top of the barrel. It has ships on the cylinder with the words engaged in 16 May 1843. It’s missing the site and whatever piece that would be under the barrel. I’m having a hard time getting info because I don’t know what it is to look for. If anyone has any information they can offer I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you
Is it .36 or .44 caliber?

The “AF” on the side plate means a manufacturers date of 1980. If you could show a picture of the bottom of the barrel with the loading lever removed, there should be a manufacturer’s cartouche there.

That's an Uberti reproduction .44 1860 Army made in 1980 @Virtuoso87. The barrel catch and front sight that are missing can be found at Dixie Gun Works, links below. Welcome to the forum and have fun with your new revolver! Justin

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...for+Reproduction+Colt+1860+Army+and+1861+Navy
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...lade+for+Reproduction+Colt+1860+Army+Revolver
Thank you! I thought it was maybe a 1860 Navy so I appreciate the information! And also the links I will be ordering those parts!

Why would an Army model have the Texas Navy ships on the cylinder and the date of the battle of Compeche on it?
The '51, '60, and '61 all had that same roll engraving.

The 1860 Army and 1861 Navy both had rounded barrels like this one, but the '61 was .36 and this one is .44 as you can tell by the rebated cylinder and the notch cut in the water table of the frame to accommodate the larger cylinder.

Glad I caught this thread. So I guess this would be a 61 Navy in .36 made by FIE in Italy it’s a pretty good shooter. Picked it up from a friend for $100.00.
That's a '51 Navy in .36 caliber, note the octagonal barrel.

As far as the others thinking I'm wrong about the 1860 Army having the same roll engraving as the Navy, hopefully some of the revolver guys come along and back me up, or someone takes the time to google it 😂

With the round barrel, it is a '61 Navy and if it is 44 caliber it is a fantasy '61 Navy. It's called a Navy model because of the Naval Scene roll engraved on the cylinder. One of the distinguishing features of a Colt Navy revolver, besides the roll engraving on the cylinder is the caliber, 36.
That's how the .36 1851 Navy got its name but that doesn't mean that they changed the roll engraving for the 1860 cylinder. They didn't , see my post #14, an original 1860 in .44 with the same engraving as the OP. A quick internet search will prove this with thousands of results with pictures and info on originals and reproductions.

It's not that I care about being proven correct, it's just that this is the OP's first black powder revolver and I think he should be sure which model he has. I know I would appreciate that when looking for parts, accessories, etc...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-26-09-09-14-494.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-26-09-09-14-494.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back