• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unknown Pedigree on Antique Percussion Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Help guys. A prominent family in my area has possession of an antique percussion rifle. Unusually long and heavy octagon barrel (will get length later), possibly .38 to.45 caliber. Top of barrel is marked “J C Phillips”, lock is marked “M M Maslin”…If anyone recognizes these names I would be much appreciative. I can get more pics and info, just wanted to make a preliminary inquiry.

Attachments

• IMG_5808.jpeg
    IMG_5808.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
Help guys. A prominent family in my area has possession of an antique percussion rifle. Unusually long and heavy octagon barrel (will get length later), possibly .38 to.45 caliber. Top of barrel is marked “J C Phillips”, lock is marked “M M Maslin”…If anyone recognizes these names I would be much appreciative. I can get more pics and info, just wanted to make a preliminary inquiry.
Well not much of a pic but appears old original piece interesting & unusual side plate now damaged .Better pics would help there are a lot more up on such rifles on this forum
Rudyard

Your rifle was made by little known maker, John G. Phillips, who moved around and worked in several states. When you post good pictures of the rifle, we'll be able to determine its age, and then we'll know which state it was made in. Please check the signature's middle initial again when you look at the gun. You reported a "C" but it should be a "G," so we know we have the right man.

The Maslin lock is a commercial lock sold through hardware stores in numerous states, where gunsmiths could pick up parts and supplies, often including barrels.

When you get a chance to take better pictures, would you please try to get the following views of the gun, taken straight down over gun and not at an angle. If you can lay gun on a light, neutral background [light grays, greens, blues, concrete driveway, etc. are best] your pictures will show details better.

1. front half-shot showing full butt out to about 10" past lock plate,
2. rear half-shot showing full butt out to about 10" past where lock plate sits on other side,
3. full length view of front side of gun showing complete gun,
4. picture of barrel signature.

Also like to know barrel length and bore size [measure bore with ruler to closest 1/16th of an inch].

Shelby Gallien

Your rifle was made by little known maker, John G. Phillips, who moved around and worked in several states. When you post good pictures of the rifle, we'll be able to determine its age, and then we'll know which state it was made in. Please check the signature's middle initial again when you look at the gun. You reported a "C" but it should be a "G," so we know we have the right man.

The Maslin lock is a commercial lock sold through hardware stores in numerous states, where gunsmiths could pick up parts and supplies, often including barrels.

When you get a chance to take better pictures, would you please try to get the following views of the gun, taken straight down over gun and not at an angle. If you can lay gun on a light, neutral background [light grays, greens, blues, concrete driveway, etc. are best] your pictures will show details better.

1. front half-shot showing full butt out to about 10" past lock plate,
2. rear half-shot showing full butt out to about 10" past where lock plate sits on other side,
3. full length view of front side of gun showing complete gun,
4. picture of barrel signature.

Also like to know barrel length and bore size [measure bore with ruler to closest 1/16th of an inch].

Shelby Gallien
Will do, and appreciate the feedback and information. More pics coming soon. 👍🏻🇺🇸

Latest posts

Back