• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion cap shelf life

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't think of a worse gun to bring to a SHTF scenario than a single shot muzzle loading rifle.

The bad guys aren't going to give up their auto-loaders.

Don't give up yours.
Well, there is the philosophy of using whatever you have to get something better. Like the Liberator in WW2.

I didn’t start black powder till the turn of the century. My first was a flint . I have only purchased older caps for the tins but would use then anyway.

Just to be clear, my first ML was a hawken reproduction I bought at Cabelas in the 90s for a hunt in Iowa. After that hunt I “upgraded” to an in-line. I doubt I’ll use either of those percussion rifles ever again but want to get some caps just in case.

Just to be clear, my first ML was a hawken reproduction I bought at Cabelas in the 90s for a hunt in Iowa. After that hunt I “upgraded” to an in-line. I doubt I’ll use either of those percussion rifles ever again but want to get some caps just in case.
As said in all the previous post, caps that are kept in any decent storage environment will be good for least a couple of lifetimes.

I did the opposite, I haven't touched the inline I bought in the early 90 since buying my first percussion, a TC 58 Big Boar.

Recent Cap compositions might be different from older
stuff. Older manufacture might be more stable. I suspect that
the lack of caps is intended. All ammo is under the influence
of the new woke ESG garbage. No way would manufacturers
not fill a need that makes profit. One manufacturer makes CCI
and Remington (Vista who just sold again). When stuff happens
there is a force involved--often unseen, like gravity. The unseen
force here is the force of tyranny that seeks to eliminate Freedom. They seek to control everything.

Thanks for the replies. I thought I found some online but when I went to check out it was Zelle or PayPal only so I didn’t order them. Might have to go with a matchlock if things keep going south !!!
Yeah, I got ripped off a couple of years ago by a scammer wanting to sell with PayPal only as the payment method.

I can't think of a worse gun to bring to a SHTF scenario than a single shot muzzle loading rifle.

The bad guys aren't going to give up their auto-loaders.

Don't give up yours.
As I posted here a couple days ago, I just took a firearm-related course presented by a retired police officer who was raised by an uncle that had survived a concentration camp during WW2; he said, flat out, don't ever let anyone take your guns away. (Meaning, politicians, etc.) Amen!

I ha
I have been collecting old cap tins for more than 40 years. I have a tin of original musket caps from the AWS (Civil War) and they still work the last time I tried one on my 1864 Springfield repo.
I have ones as old, as well! When I see older caps in a box of "stuff" at a gun show or swap meet, I always buy them; they work well even "aged" a bit!

I've shot 30+ year old caps that worked as new.

Every time I think about paying $20/1,000 for caps when I started out and how I screamed like a gut shot Comanche when I paid $60/1,000 I regret not buying all I could get my hands on at that price. Percussion caps were in short supply when I paid $60/1,000 probably 15 years ago.

the lack of caps is intended.
No way would manufacturers not fill a need that makes profit.
the force of tyranny that seeks to control everything.
You are all over the map. Which is it? Capitalism (manufactures) prevail, or govt tyranny overrides capitalism?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back