• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion cap shelf life

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyC

Shooting my .45 better every time
Reaction score
What is the shelf life of #11 caps? I haven’t shot a percussion in 20 years but I have two. An in-line and a hawken reproduction. I’m thinking if the world goes to manure they might be my only options in the future and was thinking about sticking up just in case.

Thanks for the replies. I thought I found some online but when I went to check out it was Zelle or PayPal only so I didn’t order them. Might have to go with a matchlock if things keep going south !!!

I had/have some percussion caps that were attached to the outside (caps) of speed loaders for close to 20 years. Out in the open, not enclosed. Moved east of the big muddy river and those caps were exposed to high humidity for 18 of those years. Thinking they may not be good, I used them as snap caps after cleaning my Crockett rifle. Those caps fired just fine.

Last edited:
Considering the age of caps I started back using in the last decade I'd say they might not work after...oh, 150 years.
With you on that, I was using tins of Green Ely back in the 50s and they were about 100 years old, paid Mick Smith 1/- a tin.
Should have kept them😀😀😀

What is the shelf life of #11 caps? I haven’t shot a percussion in 20 years but I have two. An in-line and a hawken reproduction. I’m thinking if the world goes to manure they might be my only options in the future and was thinking about sticking up just in case.

I bought some in 1964 they worked good as new last week I wish you well from London

I can't think of a worse gun to bring to a SHTF scenario than a single shot muzzle loading rifle.

The bad guys aren't going to give up their auto-loaders.

Don't give up yours.
Well, I agree, but I can see where they're coming from, given the recent ammo shortage, and now Gov. Newsom's proposed 11% California state excise tax on ammo. If there's no more ammo, or it gets too expensive to buy, you can at least make your own black powder and cast your own balls and bullets.

I have some from the 70s that friends gave me when they passed, no telling how or where they were stored over the years. They work most of the time but are not as hot as a cap out of a new tin. When I pop a couple of caps before I load my rifle to go hunting, the old caps go "pop" and the new caps go off with a sharp "BANG", the difference is noticeable.

Latest posts

Back