• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peeps on my southern mountain rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schreck5

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My eyes just aren't what they used to be even with progressive lenses. TOTW has a peep that fits into he existing dovetail. Item # RS-CA-PEEP-14 Has anyone tried these? What do ya'll recommend/use?

MODS., I didn't know where to post this. You won't hurt my feelings if you choose to move it. Thanks, Bruce.

Peep sights don't work well unless they're really close to your eye. Otherwise, they shut off too much of the target and the field of view is almost nothing.

If you can get a tang mounted sight close to your eye you'd be better served.

I was wondering about that. Thanks for the insight. Muzzleloading Builders Supply has one (order# 21110 Johnson Peep Sight). What are you thoughts on it?
Sorry, I don't know how to post a picture of it. I admit, peeps are not HC, but I want to be able to enjoy this great sport.

I have the brass Johnson's peep sight and I mounted it on a steel plate and then dovetailed the plate in so I could have windage adjustment since my front sight is soldered on. I made the front site with a bone "bead". I really like it!

Bruce at the end of the day, if you need a peep to keep shooting then I would do so. As suggested they need to be mounted nearer to the eye, so even a tang sight so you don't mark the rifle to much. Ancient German wheel locks had sometimes a tube rear sight so there is a precedent if HC bothers you any

cheers and good luck

Heelerau

I'd try one of the available aperatures that fasten to your eyeglasses instead of modifying the rifle. They will increase your depth of field and may bring your sights back into focus. If it works for you, you don't have to futz with the rifle at all.

It's a "no-brainer", IMO. In order to shoot the long guns you got to be able to SEE. I recommend doing whatever it takes (but no scope) to enjoy what you're doing. :2

I'm 65 and had the same problem. Since I always use safety glasses I chose to use the Lyman Hawkeye shooters' optic aid. It is cheap, and you can put it on any style of glasses with a simple succion cap. I just love them. It doesn't matter if you shoot pistol, bench rest rifle, off hand, you can adjust the little gimmick to any situation...

I replaced the rear ladder sight on a .58 Zouave with a home made peep with interchangeable large 3/8" and 1/2" apertures. It worked just fine for me using the 3/8" for target shooting and the 1/2" for hunting. It was a whole lot better than a notched rear sight for my old eyes and was no problem with respect to field of view, target acquisition or low light shooting.

osage orange: I have mounted the Marbles tang sight on a couple of my muzzle loading rifles to solve the problem you describe. They work great but stick up and catch on things in the woods. Recently I got one of the skinner sights. I have yet to install it but it looks like it will work well and the aperture is reasonably close to my eye. http://www.skinnersights.com/images/Muzzle_Loader.jpg?975

Last edited by a moderator:
I had been thinking about a peep for awhile but resisted. Then last year my eyesite got to the point where I no longer could shoot accurately.
So I made and fitted a simple peep to the tang of 2 long rifles a .40 and a .54, along with new front sights for each. My groups immediately improved.
Wish I could post some pics but I don't use any photo hosting site.

I've seen several original muzzleloaders at a private gun museum in NM that were equipped with peep sights that appeared to be original to the gun or at least very old. I'll try to see if I can find pics, and then will see if I can figure out how to post them. They were obviously rare in the day, but not unheard of. You sometimes see late 1800s winchesters equipped with a fold up tang peep that looks really cool. I'm just guessing on this but I doubt they go back much earlier than say the late 1870s, and could well be later. They look nice though, and I wish someone made something like those now. To me the Skinners look too modern.

osage orange said:
I was wondering about that. Thanks for the insight. Muzzleloading Builders Supply has one (order# 21110 Johnson Peep Sight). What are you thoughts on it?
Sorry, I don't know how to post a picture of it. I admit, peeps are not HC, but I want to be able to enjoy this great sport.

The Johnson looks like a great choice. I plan to put one on my next rifle so I can continue shooting. My club allows peepers because almost all our members are aged 70+. But, understand you may not be allowed to compete at all events with other clubs. The NMLRA has separate categories for peeps and open sights.

I'm all for hc as possible but no on should ever miss out on our sport because of a physical problem be it health related or just natural aging. A peep on your rifle an air mattress in your camp. Non slip soles on your shoes. Modern pills in your pill box, it's all the same to me.
My glasses are fitted with photo grey lenses as I have a little photo sensitivity.

Latest posts

Back