• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Southern Mountain rifle ordered

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grenadier got me to thinking so I went out and put the calipers and plug gauges to my Green Mountain barreled match rifle in .45 cal and here is what has worked well. The land to land (bore) diameter is .451 the groove to groove diameter is .472, the ball used measures .445 and the shirt felt patch material is .018-.019. That makes each groove about .0105 deep so my ball is .027 smaller in diameter than is my groove. The patches recovered have no holes , could be used again and they imprint the entire circumference of the ball.
The .010 reduction in ball diameter to groove diameter I stated was incorrect and would not work with my patch material. So much for memory posts, I should have measured them first! I apologies for the incorrect ball diameter advice I originally gave out, my bad.
So if I'm understanding your math correctly, a .006 smaller diameter ball to lands measurement with approximately a .009 difference in the groove measurements with a .018 patch embossed the patch pattern into the ball with acceptable accuracy. I'm thinking the .395 mold should yield balls close or just under the mold size and depending on my groove measurements I could possibly match the patch as you did, staying just under (.009) the groove measurement. Thank you for your help and I'm hoping to receive my kit tomorrow provided USPS doesn't pull another shipping trick on me. The kit was mailed on Monday (priority) and according to the tracking it has passed by my home twice so far to reach a different distribution center. Go figure. After I do a damage assessment on the contents, I'll measure the lands and grooves. Most of my gunsmithing has been on modern firearms, but when my hands became hard to control, I found it too difficult to do quality work.

I do know that M. De Land knows lands from grooves from his many posts and from the precision measuring tools he has access to.

I'd like to establish the definition of what we are calling groove diameter. In my measuring system, the groove diameter will be the maximum dimension of the slug. The land-to-land diameter will be the measurement of the diameter of the grooves in the slug. I have a ball gauge to measure the land-to-land diameter of the rifle barrel. Especially useful when there are an odd number of lands. I am beginning to think we are talking of the same final measurement, but we are using a different name.

Once we have a smooth crown merging into the bore and the machining burrs polished off the lands, a pure lead ball that is over the land-to-land diameter can be loaded with a thick, soft patch. That combination will engrave on the lands but will be a very tight load and may provide the utmost of accuracy. But first, let's enjoy shooting our rifle with pretty good accuracy.

In the picture below, taken from a photo from @Rock Home Isle, the lands are the raised portions of the barrel that impart spin to the ball (or bullet). What we need is a smooth crown that won't cut patches at the muzzle. We also want lands to be smooth with the sharp machining burrs polished out. When we have a tight patch and ball the patch will conform to the grooves and engrave an impression of the patch from the lands and lighter engraving due to the squeezing of the patch into the grooves. Note the smooth crown with slight coning and the slight rounding of the edges of the lands. All the makings for an accurate rifle.

View attachment 166897
That's a very nice looking crown and pretty conventional now days. The taper crown I was referring to earlier, used in muzzle loaders of colonial times, was a couple of inches in length and very gradual. The idea was to be able to push the ball deep enough with the thumb to flush it with the top of the crown, cut with a patch knife if needed, then run it home with the loading rod . They didn't seem to use a short starter much if ever at that time in history.

Last edited:
Very good report with specific numbers for your rifles.

While I feel that flannel is too soft for patching, but it works for @M. De Land so sounds good to me.
Well admittedly what got me to try shirt felt was the thickness , tight weave and being tighter than "Dicks hat band", hating to throw good patch material away, I gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised how well it worked. 😄

So if I'm understanding your math correctly, a .006 smaller diameter ball to lands measurement with approximately a .009 difference in the groove measurements with a .018 patch embossed the patch pattern into the ball with acceptable accuracy. I'm thinking the .395 mold should yield balls close or just under the mold size and depending on my groove measurements I could possibly match the patch as you did, staying just under (.009) the groove measurement. Thank you for your help and I'm hoping to receive my kit tomorrow provided USPS doesn't pull another shipping trick on me. The kit was mailed on Monday (priority) and according to the tracking it has passed by my home twice so far to reach a different distribution center. Go figure. After I do a damage assessment on the contents, I'll measure the lands and grooves. Most of my gunsmithing has been on modern firearms, but when my hands became hard to control, I found it too difficult to do quality work.
That would be a good place to start and should reveal good results from the get go. GM barrels will usually cut patches at the beginning so I generally will lead lap mine a bit but some folks report good results with scotch bright pads to clean the burrs off the land corners.
Recover your patches and look them over good as they will tell the bore story and what is needed.

I have built a few production rifles and should also mention that it is more important to have a squared muzzle first with a proper crown coming second.

It's also worth noting that a square muzzle on an ML gun can look out of square when it's not or square when it's not due to runout in the bore. Mostly seen in older barrels.

"That's a very nice looking crown and pretty conventional now days"

He had that done by a Smith who is a fellow club member.

It's also worth noting that a square muzzle on an ML gun can look out of square when it's not or square when it's not due to runout in the bore. Mostly seen in older barrels.

"That's a very nice looking crown and pretty conventional now days"

He had that done by a Smith who is a fellow club member.
I've been barreling rifles and hand guns for 40 years and have never run a cross a bore with zero run out............... they don't exit as far as I can see. If a barrel has a run out of less than .005 in 30 inches on a straight taper that is about as good as it gets in my opinion. It can be real close at both ends and out in the middle as can some times be seen in a barrel dial indicated through a head stock at each end and then viewed down bore at a slow RPM.
A barrels bore does not need to be perfectly straight any way to shoot accurately it just needs to not change as it heats up and move the same way in harmonics repeatedly.
Often folks believe a barrels bore is on a straight taper in run out but this is often not the case as very often the bore will have a bit of a cork screw spiral (serpentine shape) or bored off center (bend) some where along it's length as the deep hole bore runs into various imperfections in the barrels steel alloy like hardness variance, inclusions , bit dulling or oil pressure flow change that pushed out the chips (sworf). Any of these can deflect the bit point and cause it to move of coaxis which is self centering at its tip.
This is the reason it is always advised to measure run out at the crown and then orientate the barrel vertically to run out. This will keep the front sight in the middle of the barrel instead of off to one side or the other.

Last edited:
I think you are right. I was trying to get ahead and order a mold and start casting while I was waiting on the kit. I've searched the older post and on some other groups and from what I am finding that it is all over the board. Several even mention a .400 ball gives the best accuracy, but most use a .390 or .395 for hunting. I suppose the best thing to do is wait on the rifle and mike the lands first.
Ask Jim as he makes them ! /Ed

I've been barreling rifles and hand guns for 40 years and have never run a cross a bore with zero run out............... they don't exit as far as I can see. If a barrel has a run out of less than .005 in 30 inches on a straight taper that is about as good as it gets in my opinion. It can be real close at both ends and out in the middle as can some times be seen in a barrel dial indicated through a head stock at each end and then viewed down bore at a slow RPM.
A barrels bore does not need to be perfectly straight any way to shoot accurately it just needs to not change as it heats up and move the same way in harmonics repeatedly.
Often folks believe a barrels bore is on a straight taper in run out but this is often not the case as very often the bore will have a bit of a cork screw spiral (serpentine shape) or bored off center (bend) some where along it's length as the deep hole bore runs into various imperfections in the barrels steel alloy like hardness variance, inclusions , bit dulling or oil pressure flow change that pushed out the chips (sworf). Any of these can deflect the bit point and cause it to move of coaxis which is self centering at its tip.
This is the reason it is always advised to measure run out at the crown and then orientate the barrel vertically to run out. This will keep the front sight in the middle of the barrel instead of off to one side or the other.
Very enlightening stuff. :thumb:

If a shooter doesn't have any of the tools you referenced, is there a way to spot an out of square muzzle? Any barrels that I have ever cut I squared them off the flats bu understanding what you posted, that may not result in a squared muzzle.

I think a .390 ball & a .010 patch would be a good place to start. Since I don't have one I can't speak from experience. Certainly someone here has a .40 SMR and can share what they use. But if the bore is a true .40, which it should be, I'd think you could use a ball/patch combination of the .390/.010, .385/.015, or even a .380/.020 but your bound to get first hand experience from others.
390 w a .15 patch, killer load

I figure I don't need to start another thread, but I ordered my .45 SMR yesterday. I really struggled over the caliber, but in the end decided to go with .45. But my Pedersoli may have to find a new home...
Congratulations! It took me a long time to finally order mine and I found it sitting on my front porch today. I order one of the quick order kits Kibler had in a 40 cal and I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Attachments

• kibler smr arrived 1.jpg
    kibler smr arrived 1.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 0
Very enlightening stuff. :thumb:

If a shooter doesn't have any of the tools you referenced, is there a way to spot an out of square muzzle? Any barrels that I have ever cut I squared them off the flats bu understanding what you posted, that may not result in a squared muzzle.
I cut all mine in my lathe but that is only square to the center of the muzzle hole. it may not be perfict to the actual bore line but will be very close. The most accurate way I know of to square a crown to line of bore is to get a piloted crowning tool. The spud that goes down bore and rides the land tops is making the cutter square to the bore line.
Once the crown is cut it is just as important to sham-fer "break" the corner edges of all the land and groove ends blending them into a common taper or radius to remove all sharpness and burrs. This makes a smooth and even guide for the patched ball into the bore without cutting fabric.
I always make a brass or polyethylene down bore muzzle protector for loading and cleaning.. All balls are short started and run home through the muzzle protector to keep the loading rod off the land corners in the muzzle. The protectors are made to generally go down bore about 3/4s of an inch an is a slip fit on the land tops (bore). This will absolutely preserver and protect the all important crown which is what really steers the patched ball or bullet.

JUST FINISHED MY .40 CAL KIBLER SCOTT. ABSOLUTELY TREASURE IT. 30 YARD BULLSEYE OUT OF THE BOX FIRST SHOT. .395 HORNADY BALL, OX-YOKE PRE LUBED PATCH .40 CAL. 50 GRAINS 3F BP. MY THOUGHTS WERE. SHOOT IT WITH DIFFERENT SIZE BALLS AND PATCHES TO FIND BEST LOAD. THEN DECIDE ON MOLD OR NO-MOLD SINCE I AM OLDER AND LESS ADEPT AT SUCH TASKS. KIBLER IS AN AMAZING ETHICAL ARTIST AND CRAFTSMAN. CONGRATS FELLOW MOUNTAIN MAN. KEEP LOOKING UP💗3n1

Back