• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep Sight on Southern Mountaion Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tube sights I've seen are on Spanish weapons recovered off shipwrecks mostly by the state of Florida archaeology folks,and they date from the 1500's through maybe 1820. If you are interested IM me and I'll put you in contact with the state preservation/restoration lab that does all of the restoration efforts.My friend there will be glad to email you photos.

Is that this type of sight?
lunte02.jpg

Here is a link to a larger picture of a target gun with a peep sight: http://www.falkfrehn.de/Waffen/luntenpic/lunte03.jpg

jerry huddleston said:
Where did you get that sight???

This is a VERY old thread. That sight was sold by Track of The Wolf. Unfortunately, it has been replaced with one with a smaller aperture that is far less friendly to use :cursing: . I've seen both, and acutally had the larger, better of the two, and gave it back to the builder. Yes, It works like an aperture sight even though its further out the barrel. The closer to the tang, the wider the field of view. I had it on my tang briefly, but took it off and put a semi-buckhorn on there instead. The slot works almost as well as a circular peep for my old eyes.

I JUST received a sight from Muzzleloader Builder Supply today with the peep sight they sell. I taped it on the breech and tang of both a 32" English Sporting Rifle and 41" Tennessee Mountain Rifle, and think I'm really going to like the sight. This particular rear will be fixed as its attached with screws, so the front will have to be adjusted for windage and elevation.

I have never seen a peep on any of the original guns but am quite sure it was tried, just not popular.
I put a large aperture rear on a .54 Horse pistol I made and it works very well for target shooting. I was just experimenting when I did it and liked it so well I left it on.
I was very surprised that it would work so well at arms length on a hand gun.
It is just an aperture soldered into the top blade of a regular sight. The blade top tends to help center the eye in elevation I think as well as the aperture.
P1010846.jpg

Actually for old eyes I don't think anything will compare to a ghost ring aperture back on the tang.
With aperture sights the whole idea is to look through the hole and focus only on the front blade in relation to the target, be it paper or game.
Look through the hole and forget about it, your eye will naturally find the center and you only have to focus on the target and the front blade.MD

excess650 said:
jerry huddleston said:
...This particular rear will be fixed as its attached with screws, so the front will have to be adjusted for windage and elevation.
I think you'll find that small adjustments horizontally can be possible, using the front attachment screw as the pivot point. The sight is "adjustable" by the difference in screw diameter and hole diameter.

Don't know about PC but didn't help me too much. I'm going to try another peep but next time I'll mount something around the tang with a larger hole and thicker ring. The thin ring and small dia. just didn't work for me. Good luck.

You don't really need a small hole at the rear aperture.Lots of old timers would pitch the rear aperture and just look through the threaded hole for game shooting with receiver sights .Nothing faster on running game than a ghost ring rear aperture and an ivory bead up front which ain't exactly muzzle loader PC but it is efficient. MD

Actually this would be more HC
P1030184.jpg

I would use a very fine #8 or #10 thread for the staff. You can get specialty taps from MSC and other suppliers.

I made one that is 1/4-80 that works very well.

This one is 8-56 IIRC
P1020417.jpg

The eyecup is movable for windage.

Dan

Yeah, that's a great looking sight Dan! I really do like rear apertures and of course on my BP cartridge guns for midrange I have them up front as well.
I think tube sights front and rear were used at the tail end of the muzzle loading era for target work , no? MD

I find that a peep is more effective for my 68 year old eyes also as it's getting harder to focus. One other consideration is that if your rile has a peep sight, or even a "full buckhorn", then a lot of clubs will not allow them to be used at their shooting matches if you are so inclined.

Soon, I'll turn 65, and I notice several years ago that I shoot way better with a peep sight. I have several rifle fitted up with Lyman 57 and some with the TC peep. Both work, but the Lyman is easier to adjust and the TC is smaller. I use a small holed appeture for target and a larger William appeture in their twilight series with a hole of .125 - .150. I always keep the hunting appeture in the cap box so I have it when I need it.

Latest posts

Back