• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawkens Peep Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colterkid

40 Cal
Reaction score
Just talked with a rep at Lyman about my .54 caliber Hawkens, and a Peep Sight for the muzzleloader. He said they don't make a sight for this rifle.
I've seen pictures (Idaho Lewis I think) of Lyman sights on his Hawkens rifle.
Can anyone direct me in the right direction?
Thanks

The Lyman 57 peep sight can be slightly modified to fit other ML's. Lewis has a video of how he made one work on some of his rifles. It doesn't take much. Look up his video on how he mounted his.

I used that video as a guide when I first got mine. I modified it to fit my TC New Englander. The plan was to install the Lyman 57 peep on my New Englander and my TC peep on my Lyman GPR, but it didn't work out like I wanted. So I installed the Lyman 57 on my Lyman GPR instead.

Lyman 57 peeps are still out there. Just have to look a bit. I posted a thread looking for one and got a reply. Many can be had for $80.00 to $100.00 range. They are a good sight with nice adjustments. However, I simply do not like that big box they are mounted on. Try as I have, I cannot like it but it is what it is. I cannot afford to change it out.

Last edited:
Just talked with a rep at Lyman about my .54 caliber Hawkens, and a Peep Sight for the muzzleloader. He said they don't make a sight for this rifle.
Thanks
Plenty of manufacturers with a Hawken model. Which particular gun do you have? The 57 SML will fit or can be made to fit many of the guns out there.
1703795902056.jpeg

Here is a photograph of one sitting on a TC Renegade.
1703796100872.jpeg

TC, CVA, Traditions, Pedersoli, Uberti, GRRW, Investarm, among others all made what they call a "Hawken", and they are all different. What is it that you have?

The Lyman 57 peep sight can be slightly modified to fit other ML's. Lewis has a video of how he made one work on some of his rifles. It doesn't take much. Look up his video on how he mounted his.

I used that video as a guide when I first got mine. I modified it to fit my TC New Englander. The plan was to install the Lyman 57 peep on my New Englander and my TC peep on my Lyman GPR, but it didn't work out like I wanted. So I installed the Lyman 57 on my Lyman GPR instead.

Lyman 57 peeps are still out there. Just have to look a bit. I posted a thread looking for one and got a reply. Many can be had for $80.00 to $100.00 range. They are a good sight with nice adjustments. However, I simply do not like that big box they are mounted on. Try as I have, I cannot like it but it is what it is. I cannot afford to change it out.
Thanks ETipp, I'll search for his videos on how to install one. Idaho Lewis is an exceptional shooter with his Renegade and Hawkens.

Plenty of manufacturers with a Hawken model. Which particular gun do you have? The 57 SML will fit or can be made to fit many of the guns out there.
View attachment 279996
View attachment 279997
I have the Thompson Center .54 caliber rifle. The pictures help a lot. Thanks SDSmif
View attachment 279996
View attachment 279997
Thanks SDSmif. The pictures go a long way in seeing what a Lymans sight looks like on my Hawkens.
Appreciate it.

Thanks
I just purchased a Lyman 57 from the classifieds here the other day. I am going to try mounting it on my left hand GPR and see how it goes. I'll most likely have to make a shim for it to get it mounted correctly. If it doesn't work for me I'll let you know.

I just purchased a Lyman 57 from the classifieds here the other day. I am going to try mounting it on my left hand GPR and see how it goes. I'll most likely have to make a shim for it to get it mounted correctly. If it doesn't work for me I'll let you know.
That would be a great help to me Lonestar.
Appreciate that.

I watched the video from Mr Lewis, and it helped me make up my mind. Thanks ETipp

Peeps for your rifle will frequently show up here for sale. I also got one on ebay. You might also keep an eye out for
Williams peep sights.

You can also just cut a strip of aluminum about 1/16th thick and the width of your tang and shim it far enough to not have to modify either the sight or the stock.

I put a Lyman 57 SML on my Cabela's "Hunter Hawken", and it was a perfect fit. I think (pretty sure, but could be wrong) that the Lyman rifles, Great Plains and Trade Rifle, use the same tang as my Investarms Cabela's rifle. I love mine, it puts 3 prb's thru the same hole at 50 yards using that peep. Couldn't do that with open sights anymore. Got my buck this year with that set-up.

i lucked onto them on another gun forum. only ones i have seen. also got matching globe front sights.
shrunk my groups by half.
Yep, any type of peeps shrank my groups. Hated them when I was much younger, Now I can't live without 'em. Thought about the ladder type sights but was concerned about how rigid a setup they posed. The T/C pictured appears to be very robust indeed.

Thanks
I had a Lyman 57 on my Hawken. Very disappointed. Was so poorly made the apeture moved. Sent to Lyman for repair. They’ve had it for three months. When I call I get double talk. Go with the Williams

Latest posts

Back