• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proper rear sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently bought a late Lancaster style flint rifle from another member that has a peep sight rather than a standard rear sight. I can't use the peep in local club shoots and need to find and install a replacement. The dovetail is there but there's a blank that will probably have to be hammered out, it's been peened and filed to match barrel contour. Can someone tell me what would be a correct sight for that time period?

Attachments

• nxfmylfd.png
    nxfmylfd.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
Recently bought a late Lancaster style flint rifle from another member that has a peep sight rather than a standard rear sight. I can't use the peep in local club shoots and need to find and install a replacement. The dovetail is there but there's a blank that will probably have to be hammered out, it's been peened and filed to match barrel contour. Can someone tell me what would be a correct sight for that time period?
Any flat-topped sight in the TOW catalog.

Just a rough rule-of-thumb, but typically you want to start with a rear sight that stands about as far above the barrel as does the front sight (unless you're going to change the front sight too). If the rear sight is too low, while sighting the rifle in you can wind up filing your front sight to a tiny little nub you can hardly see.

I agree with LongWalker... I found the rear sight that came with my Woodsrunner was too low. The front sight is fine. And I will leave it as is for now. Not even to polish it. I may look a tad "rough" but it does not reflect a ton of light.
I will replace the rear sight with one from Track.... I got 2. One is listed as "tall" and the other is similar but just looks taller than the Kibler sight. Also, Kibler is aware of this and will be having and I guess installing new taller rear sights in Jan.
Chances are I will open up the tiny "V" with a stroke or two with a thin knife file. Enough to remove the blueing, which will allow some light and likely move my windage to the right a half a tad.

Latest posts

Back