• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawkens Peep Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just talked with a rep at Lyman about my .54 caliber Hawkens, and a Peep Sight for the muzzleloader. He said they don't make a sight for this rifle.
I've seen pictures (Idaho Lewis I think) of Lyman sights on his Hawkens rifle.
Can anyone direct me in the right direction?
Thanks
You probably already know this (and I don't believe I saw it in previous responses) but you may have to replace the front sight with a taller version. I'm a big fan of installing tang mounted peep sights and that has been my experience in most cases.

Good shooting!

You probably already know this (and I don't believe I saw it in previous responses) but you may have to replace the front sight with a taller version. I'm a big fan of installing tang mounted peep sights and that has been my experience in most cases.

Good shooting!
Woah! Didn't figure that. I will take that into consideration.

Plenty of manufacturers with a Hawken model. Which particular gun do you have? The 57 SML will fit or can be made to fit many of the guns out there.
View attachment 279996
Here is a photograph of one sitting on a TC Renegade.
View attachment 279997
Got a question SDSmif, did you have to trim out part of the wood on the butt stock for the Lyman to align up? I've seen stocks that have been trimmed before to get them to work. Yours is elevated somewhat, so it doesn't look like it. Thoughts?

Got a question SDSmif, did you have to trim out part of the wood on the butt stock for the Lyman to align up? I've seen stocks that have been trimmed before to get them to work. Yours is elevated somewhat, so it doesn't look like it. Thoughts?
DO NOT modify the stock to clear the stock. It’s always best to modify the least amount expensive or easiest to obtain component when ‘gunsmithing’. Down the road either you or someone else will be attempting to ‘repair’ the modification you made to the stock. MODIFY the SIGHT BASE to clear the stock if required.

You are correct, the rear sight in the photograph I posted is elevated by stacks of stainless shims. This photograph was taken during load development and a relatively low front sight installed. I prefer to end up being able to use all the adjustment with the Lyman peep sight, and although it’s easy enough to calculate the required sight height change, I like to confirm it with an actual change (shims) before changing the front sight. For a front sight I use Lyman globes, which are available in heights from .404” to .854”. Final setup will depend on the load you settle on and what you intend to use the gun for.

What I have done to help choose the correct front sight height:

Set the rear sight to the lowest elevation I prefer to use.
Tape a vertical piece of cardboard (taller than the sight) alongside the existing front sight.
Go to the range and 'sight in' using the top of the cardboard and cutting it off in increments until my elevation is where I want it.

What I have done to help choose the correct front sight height:

Set the rear sight to the lowest elevation I prefer to use.
Tape a vertical piece of cardboard (taller than the sight) alongside the existing front sight.
Go to the range and 'sight in' using the top of the cardboard and cutting it off in increments until my elevation is where I want it.
That's a good idea, and would have never thought of that.
Thanks RR.

Just talked with a rep at Lyman about my .54 caliber Hawkens, and a Peep Sight for the muzzleloader. He said they don't make a sight for this rifle.
I've seen pictures (Idaho Lewis I think) of Lyman sights on his Hawkens rifle.
Can anyone direct me in the right direction?
Thanks
I lusted after one of those sights for a long time, then came to the realisation that I wasn't happy with the bulk. I fashioned my sight from a simple piece of bar stock, drilled and tapped for an adjustable iris. I used the front sight to correct windage and elevation (filing height) for the single proven load I use in my rifle. It hits dead centre at 50 yards. I am mindful of the many ways to skin a cat. There are a lot of great peep sights out there; just use the search function on this forum and enter Peep Sight - a wonderful resource, that Lyman comes up multiple times.

Cheers, Pete

Oh - and Happy New Year lads and ladies! :)

sight1 - Copy.jpg
sight2.jpg
sight3.jpg

I lusted after one of those sights for a long time, then came to the realisation that I wasn't happy with the bulk. I fashioned my sight from a simple piece of bar stock, drilled and tapped for an adjustable iris. I used the front sight to correct windage and elevation (filing height) for the single proven load I use in my rifle. It hits dead centre at 50 yards. I am mindful of the many ways to skin a cat. There are a lot of great peep sights out there; just use the search function on this forum and enter Peep Sight - a wonderful resource, that Lyman comes up multiple times.

Cheers, Pete

View attachment 281030View attachment 281031View attachment 281032
What a Great idea Aussie. I really didn't want to drill and tap the tang if I couldn't find a three hole factory tang. If I couldn't find a factory one, I could make my own.
Where did you get the iris?

What a Great idea Aussie. I really didn't want to drill and tap the tang if I couldn't find a three hole factory tang. If I couldn't find a factory one, I could make my own.
Where did you get the iris?
The Iris came from a neglected Parker Hale sight that I picked up at a gun show in Melbourne, years ago. The iris was the only part salvaged - worth the dollars I parted with. If you do want to go the route of a homemade peep, you could tap for the Marbles peep sight set or Lyman set and change them out according to the available light, and condition of your eyes.

As 76 shovelhead says, the Lyman sight does work well. I have a couple of buddies who use them to great result, and they have the advantage of being able to change elevation and windage. I just wanted something a little more discreet and am content to settle with one sight setting for my proven load. Should I ever need to adjust windage, I would have to tap the front sight left or right; then for elevation, well that would require a little filing or a higher front sight blade.

Cheers, Pete

Cheers, Pete

Very nice setup and isn’t too hard to make.

Deerstalkert: do you know what size aperture will fit this style sight. I need a larger hole for my poor eye
Rhinogib. I don't know if i ever responded with a measurement or not. The aperture is .036 on the thompson sight.
seems i am losing it these days. would like to say slowly losing it but seems faster than that.

Cheers, Pete

Just a design suggestion, instead of drilling and tapping for the iris, just cut a slot the appropriate width, and use a nut on the back side of the iris, and your rear sight would be easily adjustable for elevation. Just hold the nut steady with a small wrench, loosen the iris half a turn, move it up or down in the slot the desired amount, then snug the iris back down.

Oh, before I forget, wasn't sure if you realized, that Parker Hale iris is adjustable for aperture size, just loosen the set screw on the face of the iris, and rotate the disk on the upper left corner till the desired size aperture appears, and snug down the set screw back down.

Last edited:
Back