• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli swivel barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter72

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Thought this might be of some interest, I know I'm interested.
Got this off Pedersoli's Facebook page yesterday.

Pedersoli: the return of the Swivel Barrel SHOT Show 2019 / New from Pedersoli: after twenty years of absence, the curious Swivel Barrel double-barreled shotgun in .54 caliber is back. But the news does not end here: presented for the first time in the USA, the 1886 Sporting Classic lever rifle with round barrel and a new version of the Howdah gun. Stefano Pedersoli shows us the Swivel Barrel rifle, certainly one of the most original replicas ever produced by the Italian company. Its peculiarity is that it has only one percussion lock, so after firing the first shot the barrel group must be rotated in order to shoot the second one. Originally, the Swivel Barrel rifle was produced by Pedersoli from 1994 up to around 1999 and mainly intended for the American market. Now, after twenty years, this very special rifle could once again be available on the market Swivel Barrel: Pedersoli replica Given the very special appearance of the Swivel Barrel rifle, each barrel has its own sights. It is a gun that was originally introduced into the United States by immigrants from Germany. This is a .54 caliber percussion rifle with two independent barrels, each of which has its own sights. Once the barrels are loaded and a percussion cap is placed on the nipple, it is possible to shoot normally as with a single-shot gun. Once fired you must half-cock the hammer: this unlocks the barrel group that can be rotated 180 degrees. Once rotation is complete, the hammer is fully cocked and the second shot can be fired. A detail of the Swivel rifle with the barrels only partially rotated to show how it works. The advantage offered by this gun is obvious: the follow-up shot takes a few seconds; the disadvantage is that the additional barrel increases the weight of the firearm (151.6 oz / 4.3 kg in total). This same weight, however, helps to control the muzzle-flip and recoil. The stock is walnut, with a pistol grip. The barrels of the Swivel gun are rifled, bored in .54 caliber and 23.6 in / 600 mm long. For the moment the Pedersoli Swivel is intended for the American market only, and as Stefano Pedersoli told us: "The Swivel Barrel rifle has been shown at the SHOT Show only to test the public reaction, which I must say responded favourably; if we decide to revive it, it could also undergo some minor changes, such as a modification of the barrels external profile, so as to reduce the overall weight."

As long as the price is not unreasonable, some of the hog hunters would probably really like it.
There's certainly plenty of hogs to shoot in all of the states with a hog season that never closes.
Also in the states with very liberal deer bag limits due to over-population.

As long as the price is not unreasonable, some of the hog hunters would probably really like it.
There's certainly plenty of hogs to shoot in all of the states with a hog season that never closes.
Also in the states with very liberal deer bag limits due to over-population.
That's a big wish. I looked at some swivel barrel rifles years ago. That was at a time when I was making significantly more money than I am now.

So even back then I couldn't afford it. However, I'm like you. I hope it is affordable. That could be a lot of fun to shoot.

Gary Cooper carried a swivel breech flintlock rifle in the movie, "Unconquered."

H1097-L150605694.jpg

In Arizona, having one of these swivel barrel rifles for shooting anything except targets and tin cans is not very practical.

For any of the Muzzleloading hunts in the state, the gun must have "a single barrel and single chamber".

By the way, that also rules out my using my double barrel 12 guage for any of the "Muzzleloading" hunts.

The shotgun is legal for hunting game birds because there aren't any "Muzzleloading hunts" for them.

I've always wanted one, but too expensive. However, if I had one I'd want one barrel to be a thin barreled shotgun/smooth bore barrel, and the other a large bore rifle barrel, which I believe would keep the weight reasonable. Like a 20 gauge/.58, or something like that. For sure, a double swivel rifle in something like .50" or even .54" would be one heavy chunk or wood and steel.

It would also match my style of hunting in the early spring, when I am looking for both grouse and black bear. We also (Washington State) have a late turkey season, where black bear and cougar are still open. I like to sit and call for bear and cougar, and also roam around looking for turk or grouse. So such a combo gun would work well for me.

In Washington State, it's legal to use a double barrel during ML season, as long as one barrel is not loaded, for big game. So one could hunt big game with it, if one wanted to lug an unloaded barrel around. But again, it would be legal to have both barrels loaded when hunting black bear, cougar, turkey and grouse, as long as a ML deer or elk season was not in progress.

However, I'm afraid if I had such a gun, it would cause my Bess, and Jeager to gather dust, and we can't have that.

Smokey

What would you consider reasonable? Can you show me a swivel barrel rifle production or custom that you think would be cheaper?

I dont own a Pedersoli. But I think they do a great job of filling a void in the market. They bring more unique ML guns to the market than any other commercial company.

Fleener

In 2017, a very, very nice Pedersoli .50 swivel rifle sold on the GunAuction website for $530 plus $35 for shipping which does not seem unreasonable.
But in 2009 when I asked if a .54 could be worth as much as $575 - $650, the comments were negative.--->>> https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/pedersoli-50-swivel-rifle.49073/

It's hard to imagine that Pedersoli would reintroduce this rifle in .54 for much less than $1000.
IMO anything more than about $800 - $850 would seem to be on the verge of being unreasonable.
Cabela's sells the Pedersoli Howdah for $725.
And the Swivel Rifle just didn't seem to be that popular at the time of its first introduction.
Even if a new one cost $899, I don't think that they will be able to be re-sold for nearly as much on the used market.
A used one would probably be lucky to sell for $675 - $700.
The demand just may not be there for them when there's already older ones that don't sell that high.

It will be interesting to see what they will do to keep the price tag reasonable considering that it's a reintroduction
and they may need to keep the price as low as possible in order to make it a success.

I had a chance to buy one in Sept. at Friendship for $500 and it was in excellent condition.

I passed on it because there was a pistol I wanted more.

It was tempting and I know it is still available.

In 2017, a very, very nice Pedersoli .50 swivel rifle sold on the GunAuction website for $530 plus $35 for shipping which does not seem unreasonable.
But in 2009 when I asked if a .54 could be worth as much as $575 - $650, the comments were negative.--->>> https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/pedersoli-50-swivel-rifle.49073/

It's hard to imagine that Pedersoli would reintroduce this rifle in .54 for much less than $1000.
IMO anything more than about $800 - $850 would seem to be on the verge of being unreasonable.
Cabela's sells the Pedersoli Howdah for $725.
And the Swivel Rifle just didn't seem to be that popular at the time of its first introduction.
Even if a new one cost $899, I don't think that they will be able to be re-sold for nearly as much on the used market.
A used one would probably be lucky to sell for $675 - $700.
The demand just may not be there for them when there's already older ones that don't sell that high.

It will be interesting to see what they will do to keep the price tag reasonable considering that it's a reintroduction
and they may need to keep the price as low as possible in order to make it a success. There is a new one for sale at a auction this weekend near me.What would be a realistic price to pay for it? Ballpark? I'm guessing the new ones will be close to a $1000.

There is a new one for sale at a auction near me.What would be a fair price for it,ballpark? Not something I really want but, if I could buy it right I might.

I'd guess somewhere between $400 - $500 at a live auction, but it's your wallet.
Then there could be "buyer's premium fees" added on to winner's bid.
That fee can help to keep the bidding a little lower.

Thanks,no buyers fee at this auction.I feel i can get this gun for less than $300,not a big market for Traditional muzzle loaders here.This auction does not have online bidders either so that helps.Another auction service locally has Proxy bid on its gun auctions for months ahead of the live event.By the time the actual auction is held the online bidding is crazy high they usually get the gun.Nobody at the event even bids on them.

It's sounds like you found the right type of auction for bidding on the right type of gun.
You just need to hope that no one else has set their sights on it.
You might need to bid against dealers or collectors who will be there.
Good luck, and whether you win or lose please let us know how it turns out.

I had never seen one of these, so I just googled up a picture. Oh my gosh, they are ugly.

Fleener

Yeah, it looks like a non traditional price point gun. Sort of like Traditions etc. To each his own, not for me.

It's sounds like you found the right type of auction for bidding on the right type of gun.
You just need to hope that no one else has set their sights on it.
You might need to bid against dealers or collectors who will be there.
Good luck, and whether you win or lose please let us know how it turns out.
Went to the gun auction yesterday.The Pedersoli swivel gun in .50 was brand new.It went for $400 dollars.I took it to $375,kinda glad I didn't get it.Just a beast of a club,and I probably would have never used anyway.It did free up a little money and i got a Browning Mountain rifle in .54 and brass fittings. Never fired,few gun safe dings,no box for $200.00.

Went to the gun auction yesterday.The Pedersoli swivel gun in .50 was brand new.It went for $400 dollars.I took it to $375,kinda glad I didn't get it.Just a beast of a club,and I probably would have never used anyway.It did free up a little money and i got a Browning Mountain rifle in .54 and brass fittings. Never fired,few gun safe dings,no box for $200.00.

That's a sweetheart of a deal.
You made the right decision.
It pays not to get into a bidding war.
You got a lot more value for your money!

I found a very old thread on this forum, the .50 cal weighs 12 pounds. That is way too much weight to throw a couple little .50 caliber balls. The pics showed very modern looking butt stock on it also. Which was truly butt-ugly. I'll say again, with a large bore rifle barrel, and a smooth bore barrel, the gun could be quite light, and much more useful. But a 12, yes that's TWELVE pound rifle in 50 caliber, that's not a target rifle, not sure what it's good for. Maybe sitting in a tree stand or blind all day I guess. That someone drives you to, and picks you up. :) !!!!

Back