• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Double Rifle Factory Flaw and Warranty issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I read it, the OP stated that both barrels are individually serial numbered and BOTH barrels are marked .54 caliber, not one barrel marked .54 caliber and another marked .50 caliber. I can't see someone ordering a custom .50/.54, but wanting the factory to mark both .54 caliber, besides the factory wouldn't intentionally mismark a barrel a different caliber than what it actually is.

Hi all,

I have a Pedersoli 54 Caliber swivel rifle (not many made so not surprised if nobody has heard of it). It is a beautiful albeit very heavy rifle. My issue is that I purchased it off of Gunbroker used, and it turns out that it has an issue. Both barrels are identical and stacked vertically with a forend only on the sides. Both barrels are identical and rotate on the breech via a spring loaded detent ball arrangement. Both barrels are individually serial numbered and marked with all markings including the caliber (54) on both. Problem is that one barrel is 54 caliber as marked, and the other is 50 caliber. I contacted Pedersoli customer service and they said that this is impossible and there is no way that it could have left the factory this way. Obviously they are wrong, and the lady would not budge on this. She said that I could send it at my cost to a Pedersoli Authorized Service Center and that they could take a look at it for me. I asked what would happen if I was correct and it was indeed a 50 caliber bore mismarked as 54. She absolutely refused to reply. This makes me not want to spend the money to ship off the gun (more than likely just the barrel as they are easily detached), not knowing what they will do, and risking the stupid shippers loosing or damaging the part in the process. I am an AGI certified Gunsmith and could make another barrel for it using a Green Mountain or similar blank, but it would not be correct for the rifle. It pisses me off that they dont stand by their product when it is obvious that somebody screwed up. I was nice and courteous, but that woman defiantly did not want to help at all. So I am stuck with a rifle that uses two different caliber balls, and not even something useful like a shotgun rifle combo or even a squirrel rifle barrel over the 54 cal. I was tempted to bore out the barrel to 12 or even 10 gauge, but once again it is a nice gun, that is properly marked and I dont want to further screw it up. Plus for what I spent on it, any more money put into it seems like a waste. My use for this gun was a heavy woods stand hunting rifle for deer. Thoughts?View attachment 181661

This isnt a recent purchase, and the seller ghosted me after I replied about the issue, just wanted to add that before anyone brought it up.
If all else fails, have Bobby Hoyt re-bore the 50 up to 54. I think the woman on the phone wasn't authorized to speak for management, so to speak. No, I'd not heard of that model, either! Best of luck.

I don't see how it's Pedersoli's problem at this point. You bought a sight unseen second hand gun, surely you've heard many stories before of people getting burnt that way? Every gun I buy second hand I make the seller take to a gun dealer/smith and speak to them on the phone as they go over the gun. There's been some great deals where the seller wouldn't do it so I passed.

Having said that, if the gun dealer said it's actually a 54 and 50 and that was the only issue, I'd transfer the money faster!

I don't see how it's Pedersoli's problem at this point. You bought a sight unseen second hand gun, surely you've heard many stories before of people getting burnt that way? Every gun I buy second hand I make the seller take to a gun dealer/smith and speak to them on the phone as they go over the gun. There's been some great deals where the seller wouldn't do it so I passed.

Having said that, if the gun dealer said it's actually a 54 and 50 and that was the only issue, I'd transfer the money faster!
I'd have to be selling a pretty pricey gun to bother messing around with taking it somewhere.

But then again, I have morals and ripping someone off is not something I would do.

I have one in double 50 cal and after reading all this I am tempted to have one barrel bored smooth just saying

Since the barrel is marked .54 and is actually .50 I see the problem as caused by Pedersoli. Maybe a mis-marked barrel? Maybe their barrel specs are just that wide? I have not seen the actual bore measurements posted. The OP has to define a lathe to make himself happy. Or not.

The barrels are most likely brazed or soldered together. I imagine it would be quite expensive to correct to any caliber where you would have to take the barrels apart in order to chuck up and turn in a lathe, not to mention the added cost of having to solder or braze the barrels and fittings back together, then refinish.

Back