• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Double Rifle Factory Flaw and Warranty issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derweibhai

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Pedersoli 54 Caliber swivel rifle (not many made so not surprised if nobody has heard of it). It is a beautiful albeit very heavy rifle. My issue is that I purchased it off of Gunbroker used, and it turns out that it has an issue. Both barrels are identical and stacked vertically with a forend only on the sides. Both barrels are identical and rotate on the breech via a spring loaded detent ball arrangement. Both barrels are individually serial numbered and marked with all markings including the caliber (54) on both. Problem is that one barrel is 54 caliber as marked, and the other is 50 caliber. I contacted Pedersoli customer service and they said that this is impossible and there is no way that it could have left the factory this way. Obviously they are wrong, and the lady would not budge on this. She said that I could send it at my cost to a Pedersoli Authorized Service Center and that they could take a look at it for me. I asked what would happen if I was correct and it was indeed a 50 caliber bore mismarked as 54. She absolutely refused to reply. This makes me not want to spend the money to ship off the gun (more than likely just the barrel as they are easily detached), not knowing what they will do, and risking the stupid shippers loosing or damaging the part in the process. I am an AGI certified Gunsmith and could make another barrel for it using a Green Mountain or similar blank, but it would not be correct for the rifle. It pisses me off that they dont stand by their product when it is obvious that somebody screwed up. I was nice and courteous, but that woman defiantly did not want to help at all. So I am stuck with a rifle that uses two different caliber balls, and not even something useful like a shotgun rifle combo or even a squirrel rifle barrel over the 54 cal. I was tempted to bore out the barrel to 12 or even 10 gauge, but once again it is a nice gun, that is properly marked and I dont want to further screw it up. Plus for what I spent on it, any more money put into it seems like a waste. My use for this gun was a heavy woods stand hunting rifle for deer. Thoughts?
Swivel-Breech-Percussion-50Cal-by-David-Pedersoli-Stk-P-29-45_101111499_82756_298DA31CA7CB9025.jpg

This isnt a recent purchase, and the seller ghosted me after I replied about the issue, just wanted to add that before anyone brought it up.

i would call back and hope someone else answered or ask to speak to a manager. might help. ......or a factory defect thats not really a defect on a scarce gun might be worth more to someone.who knows ?? myself, i would make it [ the .50] a smoothbore, best of both worlds :ghostly:

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have a Pedersoli 54 Caliber swivel rifle (not many made so not surprised if nobody has heard of it). It is a beautiful albeit very heavy rifle. My issue is that I purchased it off of Gunbroker used, and it turns out that it has an issue. Both barrels are identical and stacked vertically with a forend only on the sides. Both barrels are identical and rotate on the breech via a spring loaded detent ball arrangement. Both barrels are individually serial numbered and marked with all markings including the caliber (54) on both. Problem is that one barrel is 54 caliber as marked, and the other is 50 caliber. I contacted Pedersoli customer service and they said that this is impossible and there is no way that it could have left the factory this way. Obviously they are wrong, and the lady would not budge on this. She said that I could send it at my cost to a Pedersoli Authorized Service Center and that they could take a look at it for me. I asked what would happen if I was correct and it was indeed a 50 caliber bore mismarked as 54. She absolutely refused to reply. This makes me not want to spend the money to ship off the gun (more than likely just the barrel as they are easily detached), not knowing what they will do, and risking the stupid shippers loosing or damaging the part in the process. I am an AGI certified Gunsmith and could make another barrel for it using a Green Mountain or similar blank, but it would not be correct for the rifle. It pisses me off that they dont stand by their product when it is obvious that somebody screwed up. I was nice and courteous, but that woman defiantly did not want to help at all. So I am stuck with a rifle that uses two different caliber balls, and not even something useful like a shotgun rifle combo or even a squirrel rifle barrel over the 54 cal. I was tempted to bore out the barrel to 12 or even 10 gauge, but once again it is a nice gun, that is properly marked and I dont want to further screw it up. Plus for what I spent on it, any more money put into it seems like a waste. My use for this gun was a heavy woods stand hunting rifle for deer. Thoughts?View attachment 181661

This isnt a recent purchase, and the seller ghosted me after I replied about the issue, just wanted to add that before anyone brought it up.
More than one way to skin a cat............. This is what I would try...... Look up the website and get a name if possible, and talk to someone higher up. If the website does not give any names with clout, research Pedersoli as a business etc.
Good luck! My reply above was assuming the gun was from the factory as is. After thought makes me think someone else may have changed it.
Larry

Last edited:
Those are nice muzzleloaders. i googled up a rifle identical to yours that sold on Gunbroker on 3 December. The buyer of that rifle paid just over $700.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/959223496
1. You bought a rifle sight unseen from a guy on Gunbroker who ghosted.

2. Now you would hold Pedersoli responsible for fixing a secondhand muzzleloader whose seller was well aware of the rifle's defect.

3. My advice: Trash the sellers 100 percent Gunbroker rating then bore out the .50 barrel to smoothbore.

Last edited:
If it came from the factory like that, I wonder why it wasn't addressed at the point of sale? Whoever was loading it would have noticed immediately, so the original owner either decided that the defect was fine with them, and warranty work was not required, or they modified it later. I feel like either of those things dissolve the warranty, plus, the second owner isn't covered anyway.

I would send it to them and see what they say, it couldn't hurt.

If it were mine, I'd make it into a smooth / rifled combo. That would be very cool, IMHO.

if it were mine i would be dancing. yes it requires two sizes of projectiles, but just think, you are the only kid on the block with one.
if you cant live with two dandy calibers at your disposal, do as suggested, bore it smooth in 54 to match.
i have a combo built in 1830-1840 with 36 rifles and 20g smooth. dont get much sweeter.

Bore it and install a liner? That could maybe get you a 50 or 54 over 32.

Boring out to a smooth size for patched ball or shot could be useful.

I'd have the .50 opened up to smoothbore. Still roundball capable but also buckshot, shot or buck and ball. Or you could always remove the 50 barrel and just have it bored to
54. Either way you pay a little, butau be easier than dealing with second hand warranty issues. Good luck

If the barrels are detachable, it leaves me wondering if someone mixed two different calibers guns up. I would agree turn the .50 barrel into a .54 smoothbore or bored and rifled to .54.

Lots of good suggestions given. The best ones being to either leave it as is or have it bored out to your liking. As, at least, the second owner I wouldn’t expect Pedersoli to do anything. That ship sailed with the original owner waving goodbye from the deck.

My 2 choices would be to send it back to Pedersoli or to just keep it like it is and shoot it. I would shoot it and see how close the 2 barrels group. No point in it if they do not shoot together. I would say it is likely that the gun was made that way at the factory by mistake. Call until you get someone to tell you where to ship the barrels and then hope for the best. Or just get it rebored to the correct size. Lots of choices here. The lady probably did not know what would happen at the service center. My guess is that they will look at it and send out a new set of barrels and there will be a good bit of cost in shipping and maybe service charges involved. But I do not know. Never sent one in.

Hi all,

I have a Pedersoli 54 Caliber swivel rifle (not many made so not surprised if nobody has heard of it). It is a beautiful albeit very heavy rifle. My issue is that I purchased it off of Gunbroker used, and it turns out that it has an issue. Both barrels are identical and stacked vertically with a forend only on the sides. Both barrels are identical and rotate on the breech via a spring loaded detent ball arrangement. Both barrels are individually serial numbered and marked with all markings including the caliber (54) on both. Problem is that one barrel is 54 caliber as marked, and the other is 50 caliber. I contacted Pedersoli customer service and they said that this is impossible and there is no way that it could have left the factory this way. Obviously they are wrong, and the lady would not budge on this. She said that I could send it at my cost to a Pedersoli Authorized Service Center and that they could take a look at it for me. I asked what would happen if I was correct and it was indeed a 50 caliber bore mismarked as 54. She absolutely refused to reply. This makes me not want to spend the money to ship off the gun (more than likely just the barrel as they are easily detached), not knowing what they will do, and risking the stupid shippers loosing or damaging the part in the process. I am an AGI certified Gunsmith and could make another barrel for it using a Green Mountain or similar blank, but it would not be correct for the rifle. It pisses me off that they dont stand by their product when it is obvious that somebody screwed up. I was nice and courteous, but that woman defiantly did not want to help at all. So I am stuck with a rifle that uses two different caliber balls, and not even something useful like a shotgun rifle combo or even a squirrel rifle barrel over the 54 cal. I was tempted to bore out the barrel to 12 or even 10 gauge, but once again it is a nice gun, that is properly marked and I dont want to further screw it up. Plus for what I spent on it, any more money put into it seems like a waste. My use for this gun was a heavy woods stand hunting rifle for deer. Thoughts?View attachment 181661

If that is the worst thing in your life, I would consider myself fortunate.

if you really dont like it sell it here. there seems to be interest. i personally would have the .50 bored as large as it could be to reduce the weight of that beast [ 12 lbs or so ?] and have the best of both worlds in your hands.

Latest posts

Back