• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Kentucky Frontier Flintlock Customization Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
395F2B4B-42BF-4F8C-9340-4E077E08A40B.jpeg

Not much progress today but sometimes it’s the little things! Took the old plain, square, boring side plate bolt and chucked it in my Dewalt 19v portable mini lathe and within minutes with a file turned it into a new exciting fancy bolt. Finished it off with some red scotchbrite pad. Didn’t change the original outer diameter. Looks much better now and goes great with my custom made side plate, lol.
1449B198-CBE0-46E2-ABCE-52C10988A662.jpeg
A5853FD8-E06C-4F9D-96BF-61D9D2351DA6.jpeg

Beautiful job so far Compressorguy! :thumb: I especially like your treatment of the lock bolt. So simple yet adds a bit more interest to your build. Well done.

Next was to sand the ramrod channel to expose more of the ramrod and pipes. The ramrod is originally about 2/3 covered and now only about 1/3 covered. Then I sanded the “squared” forend to a more rounded and much much slimmer shape with a rasp. ALOT of wood has to be removed in this area.
View attachment 119549View attachment 119550
Compressor guy. There is a neat trick that you can do on screw heads. Take and polish the screw head down to 800 grit. Using the drill like you are to spin it. The better the polish on the screw head the better your results will be. Make sure to polish in the screw slot. Then take a torch and hold the screw lightly gripped in vice grips and from the underside of the screw aim the torch up towards the head. Heat the screw until it turns a vibrant blue and then drop it in water. Don't heat it too long after it turns the blue because it will go dull again. If you do it too long and it turns a gray. Polish it again with the drill to a high polished look then try the torch again. You can experiment on another screw you have until you feel you get it right then go back and do this to the screw you are wanting to use. I think you will really like the results. Try it with the side plate screw in the photo.

Last edited:
That sounds very interesting and want to explore that process more. I will def consider this. Thanks!

Found this link on flame bluing screws from Midway

Thats it. The more highly polish you do the screw the bluer it will get, In the video he used to course a grit of sandpaper. Try ending up with 800 to 1000 grit. It will end up much prettier than his did.

Back