• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Kentucky Frontier Flintlock Customization Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have really enjoyed this rifle and muzzleloading for that matter. I even bought a Ped Kentucky flintlock pistol kit and completed it recently to compliment the rifle. Yet I yearn for more and would now love to build custom rifle kit but paying for a wedding has put a halt on that as well as recovering afterwards. So I decided to customize the Pedersoli and save ALOT of $$$ in the process while also honing my skills for a future build and satisfy my craving, for now, 😆. I learned a lot from the pistol build alone as well as from this site. Lots of talent here! So this thread will document my build process and vision for my rifle and while probably not 100% historically correct it will be more so than it was with a blend of my own personal touches. This 1994 rifle has good bones to start with from which here we go.....

First thing was fit and install a muzzle cap, which will help determine the shape of the fore-stock. I epoxied this on once fitted.
B76B3DE2-6703-46B8-A637-5FA4E84FECEC.jpeg
F30103EB-EEA9-4AB8-A821-B8E788759DFB.jpeg

Next was to sand the ramrod channel to expose more of the ramrod and pipes. The ramrod is originally about 2/3 covered and now only about 1/3 covered. Then I sanded the “squared” forend to a more rounded and much much slimmer shape with a rasp. ALOT of wood has to be removed in this area.
D4D0E40B-D88B-4739-A863-05161F7AECA3.jpeg
8BB2223C-B884-4DAE-9430-C838B25E7056.jpeg

Last edited:
This is where I’m at now in the process as I really think about how to tackle and where to place the under lugs and ramrod pipes. My original thought was to remove the existing threaded underlugs and replace with the pinned version but there are 3/8” dia holes in this area of the forend that will need to be plugged and then slotted for the new lugs. Or should I move the lugs forward/back from the original locations, which seems like a much stronger option. I could leave the pipes in the original locations which would help cover/hide the existing holes even if I plugged them. Thoughts?

I see now that the pipes were screwed to the rifle with that hole in them. I’d agree that remounting the barrel with pins or keys would would be much nicer and pinning the pipes on properly makes a cleaner job of it.

I appreciate the feedback. I temp mounted the side plate in the current shape, maybe better proportionately? I photo copied the side plate so I could play around with different shapes and cut out this one out. While I like the crescent moon, proportions are very important as well. I have seen this shape before on southern mountain style rifles IIRC. Proportionately, I think looks better?
C405073F-E4EC-4DDF-A01B-F8A9BBFBEEF1.jpeg
3D61CC90-74DE-4968-BEB2-E111E3A9292F.jpeg

It is great to personalize a factory rifle. I rebuilt a CVA Hawken to resemble a particular original Hawken [Photo 1]. It came out nicely and is a more handy size. I will probably do another as soon as it warms up some. The photos show the changes from CVA to my own small Hawken interpretation. I really appreciate your remodel of the Ped Frontier. It will be much improved over the factory gun. Enjoy every minute. Polecat

Attachments

• Hawken orig to compare.jpg
    Hawken orig to compare.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 66
  • my remake 1.JPG
    my remake 1.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 61
  • my remake 6.JPG
    my remake 6.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 60
  • my remake 3.JPG
    my remake 3.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 61
  • my remake 4.JPG
    my remake 4.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 59
  • my remake 7.JPG
    my remake 7.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Made more progress last night and today. I got the entry pipe inletted. WOW, that was way more involved than I thought it would be and took much longer than expected. Probably the hardest part of the entire rebuild. Since the stock is already shaped and there is so little wood to work with I had to go extremely slow and took great care not to take too much off. Trim, fit, trim, fit, repeat, repeat, repeat..........It’s not perfect but the learning experience was great (ie: future build calling) and I got the satisfaction of doing it myself. Also got the other two pipes inletted and cut the barrel tennons for the lugs. Lugs are installed and the stock is inletted for them. Next will be to pin everything in place, final sanding/shaping, inlet the acorn, side plate and star but that’s for another day. Here’s some pics of the rifle back together. Really like how this is turning out and feels sooooo much better in the hand. Very slim!
6772DF32-9E5C-4919-8726-BDDA53490C3D.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back