• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Kentucky Frontier Flintlock Customization Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bill, great question, the rifle has always been quite nose heavy and still is even after removing all the extra forend wood. I suppose it did move back slightly and the balance seems to be in the exact middle of the entry pipe right now. I hung some lead weights off the back of the butt plate and 4 oz would bring it to neutral where I would normally hold with my support hand. I suppose it would take 5 oz once inletted into the butt stock or leave at 4oz for slightly nose heavy.
AD336442-B6B0-4E90-AF59-924C1A7603E3.jpeg

Grenadier1758, that’s great to know. I really wanted and like the aged gray patina look. When I built my pistol I browned it (hated the coppery color) then removed all of the brown with an oiled scotchbrite pad, thinking I needed to redo it but that left behind a nice aged gray/brown patina that I really like. How long did it take to age to that look?
D513B411-2215-4D57-9D60-38C2AA2EE322.jpeg

I've been shooting the Derringer rifle for about 10 years now and the graying took place pretty quickly. It doesn't take long after the rifle has been shot a few times and the barrel wiped off with a fouling infused patch and then an oiled patch. A few stroked with a scotch brite pad or 0000 steel wool keeps any rust under control.

If you hunt, that is 5 more ounces to carry through the woods. Maybe you can carry some lead balls in the patchbox if you want it to balance just right. I got lucky with my first build. It is an early Lancaster 50 cal with a 42" swamped Rice barrel. The rifle weighs just over 7 pounds and is easy to shoulder.
Minr 10.jpg

Just weighed the rifle an it’s exactly 8.0 lbs. Unfortunately it doesn’t have a patch box, carrying extra lead balls would have worked out nicely. As far as hunting it wouldnt be a big deal to have added weight. Most of my hunting is usually just a short walk to a tree stand and seated. I may only move once during a hunt. I could see if walking a lot/all day, you’d feel every ounce.

Beautiful rifle btw!

One thing that made a vast improvement was contouring the cheek piece. The red line represents the original contour. Now the front/ rear sights align perfectly centered when shouldering without adjusting my head/cheek placement.
01DC5601-C043-41A1-BACE-A9EFEA12DF31.jpeg

Last edited:
OP I did something similiar but a lot less involved to my Pedersoli Kentucky as a Covid project.

Stripped and sanded the barrel and lock. Left it white. It has greyed to a nice dull grey finish in less than 18 months. Did the same to my Ped Bess Carbine and same grey there.

Leave it be and shoot it and in a short time it will be very nicely dulled and colored a bit by powder and your hands.

I have found the best place to balance a muzzle heavy long rifle is to remove the butt plate, drill a hole or two and insert however many lead balls it takes to balance. A little weight on the extreme butt end of the rifle is better for balance correction than any other location...and it is invisible! Then, of course replace the butt plate!! The overall rifle carry weight increase is imperceptable, but balance where you want it, is really noticeable!

Just the way I finished it, no particular reason. I’ve seen them with and without and can always add one later. There is a threaded tip on the internal tapered end. Not sure which way is more HC for this rifle, but then again the end result wasn’t meant to be an all out HC copy. Just a customization, personalization, learning project since I couldn't splurge on a Kibler kit right now and already had the Pedersoli.

Last edited:
Back