• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Kentucky Frontier Flintlock Customization Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed the moon inlay and heart inlay I made.
B2689B97-F732-4746-AE9D-0AEBAF568B00.jpeg
30A8A60A-00ED-472C-A32C-EC34C784B565.jpeg

Great minds..... Doing the same for a pal with a Pedersoli Frontier. I think it's a .54, but yeah, he wants a brass MC and a slenderizing job. I ordered more brass sheets, because I thought all my brass was too thick to bend around the wood easily. Then, today while cleaning some stuff out, I found 6 sheets of .015 and .020 brass tucked away neatly in a drawer! Also found a 15/16 factory MC, all ready to go on his rifle.
Hadn't thought about trimming down the RR channel and fat sides until I saw how you were going about the job, and had a "Eureka!" moment.
Thank you, good friend!
What did you do about the finish? Yours looks a lot like the original.

This finish is 4 coats of Birchwood Casey Rusty Walnut, followed by 4 coats of boiled linseed oil and 6 coats of BC Tru-oil. Then cut the gloss with 0000 steel wool and buffed with a cotton t-shirt for a rich satin finish. Will finish with a coat of wax in a couple days.

She’s a slim girl now!!! Lots and lots of wood removed from those slab sides. Feels way better in the hands.
7843FA0E-A2BC-47B3-A987-73BD313A0124.jpeg

When I built my Derringer rifle, I debated with myself on how to finish the barrel and lock. Eventually, I decided to leave the barrel and lock in the white. Over time the barrel has taken on a nice gray patina that, to me, is quite pleasing. The gray does not shine or give off a glare in the sun.

Shoots just fine too.

Deringer_05.jpg

Latest posts

Back